Will a focus light affect my ttl settings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Larry C

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm trying to improve my autofocus on macro and especially supermacro shots. I shoot a lot in dark water, and I've had really inconsistent focus. I tried a liittle UK pocket light, but the beam seemed too narrow. In the past, I've done some shooting with my dive light on the subject. That seems to get me a brightly illuminated subject with black all around the focus area. I don't really want to spend $3-400 for a specialized focus light. Has anyone done this with a Q40 or similar light? Will I end up with hot spots or a black background shooting ttl? Which is better, led or regular incandescent bulb?

I tried a Princeton Tec Impact II LED light. It has a rather tight beam and being an LED light it doesn't eat batteries. I found it to be a little too bright and overpowering. I'm building a diffuser to fit on the light's bezel and want to put a red filter on it.

I would prefer the Princeton Attitude LED light because it is more diffuse. However, I have flooded two of those. While they were replaced by Princeton, I can't trust those lights anymore.

I have a Sea & Sea YS 25 and made a light holder for the MX10 lens caddy, which piggybacks on this strobe.

I just bought an Olympus SP 350. I am working on an adapter for my Sea & Sea 20mm wide angle lens.

There are two pictures of my home made tray & arm, from 1 1/4" polypropylene drain pipe, from another post:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=148310
Please note, this does not show the current light adapter for the strobe.

The best option is (2) of the LED Q40's.

You can use the standard Q40's with homemade "defusers". I find that if you cover the lamp reflector (with crinkled Alu foil) the light works a lot better without the bright spots.

I have tried one of the 44 LED Fantasea lights but the beam while wide is not bright enough for many focusing issues.

I still dont use one. But even with one, when you go SuperMacro, you will have this kind of trouble with incosistent focus. The more you amplify, the less focus you will have. To compensate for it, I would suggest some "focus bracketing" shooting more pictures to get more in-focus one.

I also didn't want to spend mega bucks on a focus light , but after a couple of attemps with a torch and diffuser to get an even beam spread I eventually cracked and bought a Fisheye light. Never looked back. The only downside that I can see is the short burn time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom