Will Amazon Firetv stick (or AppleTV) work outside US?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

uncfnp

Solo Diver
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Not that I watch much tv, especially on a diving trip, but interested if a Firetv stick purchased in USA will work on a network out of the country? Or AppleTV?

a standalone Fire stick works in 5 countries if you change one setting:
  • United States
  • United Kingdom (UK)
  • Germany
  • Austria
  • Japan
Amazon.com Help: Use Fire TV in a Different Country

Since it's similar technology I assume AppleTV would have a supported country list also.

Last edited:
my firestick is currently working mostly fine in the UK *mostly only because the hotel has really wretched wifi signal... It works brilliantly at my cousins over here who has quick wifi*

My plan is to give it a try on my upcoming trip to Bonaire. Its small and light enough that its a nonissue packing.

Alternative is the Apple TV though its a bit larger. I can use a VPN then sling music/shows from my ipad.

Update...
a standalone Fire stick works in 5 countries if you change one setting:
  • United States
  • United Kingdom (UK)
  • Germany
  • Austria
  • Japan
Amazon.com Help: Use Fire TV in a Different Country

Since it's similar technology I assume AppleTV would have a supported country list also.
That's too bad. Popping the stick into the luggage would have been simple. Looks like its appletv or nothing. Thanks.

Last edited:
I can use a VPN then sling music/shows from my ipad.

If what you mean by 'sling" is using the iPad as a wi-fi hotspot then the Fire should work also as it will be fooled into thinking your VPN-based connection is in the US - which technically it is...

Pack one of those cheap USB power cubes also in case the TV doesn't have one or it's on the back on a set screwed to the wall.
I think this would work fine. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QTE09SY?psc=1&smid=A2KV19AYUKS3X0

worth a try...

Last edited:
Final question, suppose a firestick had Kodi loaded. Anyone know if that will run outside the US?

I have a sling box and can watch my FIOS on my iPad or phone anywhere in the world there's a decent internet connection...I do have Firestick at one location hooked up to a smart TV....never tried it outside the US though.

Does Bonaire have sufficient bandwidth to do it? My only dive travel has been to Cozumel and there's no way anyone was streaming video there. It was barely capable of handling facebook and email. Not just at the hotel but at most restaurants I visited as well.

Anyway, you could use that vpn you've installed to connect to a PC at home. Then Netflix or whatever service you're using will see you as coming from a US IP. I have a friend who moved out of country and streams video this way, although with a different device. It doesn't solve the bandwidth problem, though.

Does Bonaire have sufficient bandwidth to do it? My only dive travel has been to Cozumel and there's no way anyone was streaming video there. It was barely capable of handling facebook and email. Not just at the hotel but at most restaurants I visited as well.

Anyway, you could use that vpn you've installed to connect to a PC at home. Then Netflix or whatever service you're using will see you as coming from a US IP. I have a friend who moved out of country and streams video this way, although with a different device. It doesn't solve the bandwidth problem, though.
I stay at a B&B so no tv in Coz but I was able to stream Amazon Prime through the VPN on my ipad. It wasn't happy about it but it did work.

Update. If you have wifi and the bandwidth it seems the Firestick will work at least to a limited extent. Alexa will play music requests and you have access to your personal music library, And at least some of the Amazon Shows play. But movies are geographically block.

Kodi does on the other hand work just as it does in the US.

Tomorrow I will see what I can do with Apple.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom