Will flying into Sorong become my lob preference?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chillyinCanada

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I've just read this with a feeling of horror. Will Raja Ampat become even more of a pain to access?
  • "Currently this trip is scheduled to use the port of Sorong(SOQ). However, the government of Raja Ampat is considering to ask all liveaboards on Raja Ampat trips to go through the port of Waisai in the future. Waisai is about a 2h ferry ride from Sorong and has its own small airport, Marinda airport (RJM)."

Does anyone know the rationale for the proposed change?

thumbsplitter, I was hoping to learn more about it myself. I'm sure part of it is related to congestion at port of Sorong.

Hopefully it won't apply to the land-based ops. We dived with Papua Explorers in Dec. and their boat picked us up and dropped us off in Sorong. It seems like a side trip to Waisai would be waste of time.

There are so many lobs in sorong these days that i suppose the authorities are trying to come up with a solution to the overcrowding, just Waisai is not it as there are limited fueling options for boats and getting stock will be a complete pain in the bottom. Currently all lob guests disembark at the same tiny pier that is always overcrowded - though the new hut for the porters looks lovely. haa haaa - fees well spent!

Interesting times. Indo Govt has signed agreements and $ committed to "develop 10 new balis" from Aus and who knows how many other investors and governments.

Banda Neira having an expanded airport....Wasai perhaps might get an international one in times to come. Sorong port is overcrowded...RA is dangerously becoming overcrowded.

I read a paper on tourism expansion plans for Indo - "greater accessibility for the boutique cruise ship market" - Made me raise an eyebrow.

Guess we are all just going to have to sit here and wait...you never know..LAX to Wasai direct with a Starbucks, McDonalds and 7/11 in the airport with a conveniently located Marriott/ramada/Hilton with infinity pool for that night before boarding your LOB.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom