Will I get to see some sharks next week in Belize?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BrianOrange

Contributor
Reaction score
Will be in Belize on Saturday with my friends on the Peter Hughes boat. Will love to see some sharks other than Nurse sharks on some of our dives. What are my chances? I probably won't do the Blue Hole dive (too inexperienced) but hoping I can see some nice reef or any other types of sharks swimming around.

I'd say your chances are pretty good.

Of course now having said that you won't see one, but that would be very unlucky and unlikely.

I have dove the Belize Aggressor on several occasions and have seen sharks once and they were baited in at the Aquarium. The sharks are there, the problem is most divers are looking at stuff on the walls and not staring out into the blue. The Blue Hole is one of those dives where you have a better chance of seeing sharks actually. Being a former cave diver going down deep in a hole is rather boring to me, so the wife and I always dive the shallow reef surrounding it. Lots of little stuff to see. You will have a great time and if this is your first liveaboard you will have a real hard time doing land based ever again.

Will be in Belize on Saturday with my friends on the Peter Hughes boat. Will love to see some sharks other than Nurse sharks on some of our dives. What are my chances? I probably won't do the Blue Hole dive (too inexperienced) but hoping I can see some nice reef or any other types of sharks swimming around.

Why do you consider yourself too inexperienced to dive the Blue Hole?

:idk:

Less than 10 OW Dives as of now, although I will be above that by the time we get to the Hole. Better safe than sorry.

Valid concern. It's not really a challenging dive, down and then up, but I can see that it might be disconcerting that soon into one's diving career.

You can always circle around the top, like the Reef Sharks, while the rest of the group does the deep stuff. :crafty:

I commend you knowing your limitations...and remember as you dive more...
It is not the number of dives you log...but the experience you get out of each one!
Just keep learning...just keep learning!!!

So sure you will see a 12 foot hammerhead...:jaws:

You have an excellent chance of seeing Sharks out at the Atolls and be sure to snorklel the Blue Hole if you are not comfortable diving it as there are lots of sharks in the hole.

Either way your in for a treat with the diving out there

Have fun

Gaz

We dove the Blue Hole in May. We're not uber-experienced. We notched our 100th dive on the trip. The Hole wasn't challenging in terms of currents, but I did take note of how quickly we hit the 130 ft. limit of our dive (we'd never previously been below 100 ft.). I could see how a diver could very quickly get far deeper than planned.

Saw maybe six or seven reef sharks circling around the hole. Visibility was bad. Very windy, so sediment was getting picked up along the shelf and dumped down the hole with us.

Other fun sights on the trip included dolphins (on two separate dives) and a blue marlin, of all things, that swam right up to us during a safety stop at The Elbow.

Overall, maybe our best dive trip ever. I HIGHLY recommend Belize diving.

Back
Top Bottom