Will my boyfriend be able to scuba dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Melissa85

New
Reaction score
Will my boyfriend be able to scuba dive? He has got ear problems. He has got really sensitive ears and getting water in them leads to ear infections. Basically, swimming with head under the water is a challenge for him. He is a careless guy and does nothing to protect his ears while swimming. He has tried using swimming with earplugs before, but he is not comfortable with it.

I think he might have some problem with his ear. I asked him to have his hearing health checked from Ottawa. Is there a link between sensitive ears and ear problem? Please give some genuine replies and suggestions. Thanks in advance.

His chances of tolerating diving seem slim considering your description. If he can fix the underlying cause of his ear problem, he may be able to.
Until then, I’d tell him to stay out of the water.

Carelessness and diving do not go together safely.

How his ears behave while equalizing on descent is anyone's guess. He could be fine.

Regarding the infections, post dive ear care would be crucial. Proper rince, or use a solution. If I skip my ear disinfectant drops I have an automatic ear infection in some of the water I dive... Other dive sites no issues.

Last edited:
Will my boyfriend be able to scuba dive? He has got ear problems. He has got really sensitive ears and getting water in them leads to ear infections. Basically, swimming with head under the water is a challenge for him.

Before learning to use scuba, it is important to be comfortable in the water. This includes developing reasonable swimming ability and being comfortable while completely immersed. While there are earplugs marketed for use while swimming, I haven't seen anyone who is truly comfortable in the water use them. There may be exceptions, but the plugs are awkward, and do not seal well in most cases.

I would suggest a visit to an ENT to see if there is anything that is easy to correct.

Some good info above.

I would split the topic in 2:
- ear infections
- equalizing issues.

If "simple" ear infections are the issue then Google ear beer. It's a DIY solution (literally) that should kill the nasty stuff if used after every dive. Simple and safe.

Equalization is a different and more complex issue.

My wife sometimes uses Doc's Proplugs for Scuba while scuba diving. She often has trouble getting her ears to drain after a dive when she does not use them. I'm not sure if they'd help your boyfriend, though.

I re-read your post again, and I'm curious, does your boyfriend want to dive and you don't want him to, or do you want him too and he is not sure he would be able to?
If he wants to dive, his current carelessness won't be a problem as he will be motivated to do better. If you are looking for arguments against diving so you can talk him out of it, that is going to harder.
If he doesn't really want to try diving these may be arguments he has given you to get off the hook.
When I started seriously working on my husband to go with me and try diving, he was hesitant and honestly thought he would have problems with his ears. Talking to the shop owner, instructors and other divers convinced him he could try, now all vacations are dive vacations and he drags me into the St. Lawrence in between.

My wife sometimes uses Doc's Proplugs for Scuba while scuba diving. She often has trouble getting her ears to drain after a dive when she does not use them. I'm not sure if they'd help your boyfriend, though.
I have gotten to the point where I use Doc's nearly every time I dive. The only time I don't is when I forget to put them in. I haven't had an ear infection since I started using them. Getting yhe proper size that fits is essential.

Back
Top Bottom