Will PADI Recognize SSI specialties (Perfect Bouyancy)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Two divers walk into your shop, one shows a PADI MSD card, the other a NAUI MSD card. At a minimum, what do you know about them?

The PADI diver has taken OW, AOW, Rescue, EFR, 5 specialties, and has at least 50 dives. The NAUI diver has OW, AOW, and 8 additional dives from MSD, Rescue and first aid are not required, there is no minimum number of dives.

The main objection to PADI MSD appears to be applying and paying for the card after fulfilling all the requirements, a small drop in the bucket after all the previous investment.

Thanks... I think you're seeing what I wrote for exactly what I meant.

Some people seem to be suggesting that we should treat people differently based on the cards they carry. I just don't subscribe to that.

Thanks... I think you're seeing what I wrote for exactly what I meant.

Some people seem to be suggesting that we should treat people differently based on the cards they carry. I just don't subscribe to that.
My only point was that PADI MSD and NAUI MSD may represent significantly different training and dive experience. I'm sure both programs can be very good and represent more training than the majority of divers ever take

+1 for Self Reliant Diver. But IIRC it has a pre-req of 100 logged dives, and is a "distinctive specialty"... so it might not be as widely available as the standard specialty courses.
Concur on its availability. There seem to be very few instructors that are actually qualified to teach it, in my experience. Fortunately, our OP meets the minimum 100 logged dives pre-req, should he decide to pursue it.

Okay okay... I will admit the MSD card does have a real and practical value: in those instances where you have to present a card to someone, perhaps on a dive boat or at a shop, the MSD card is an efficient way to show someone that you have invested a lot - in time, money, physical effort, mental effort, your persistence and your dedication - in your diving.

@yle, take a deep breath, I didn't quote you or refer to you.
I was responding to a trend in the posts at that juncture in the thread that suggested that the MSD was a waste of time.

Two divers walk into your shop, one shows a PADI MSD card, the other a NAUI MSD card. At a minimum, what do you know about them?

The PADI diver has taken OW, AOW, Rescue, EFR, 5 specialties, and has at least 50 dives. The NAUI diver has OW, AOW, and 8 additional dives from MSD, Rescue and first aid are not required, there is no minimum number of dives.

The main objection to PADI MSD appears to be applying and paying for the card after fulfilling all the requirements, a small drop in the bucket after all the previous investment.

You have no idea about what the NAUI MSD course is all about and what it entails or what it requires so don't talk about it spreading totally false information.

You have no idea about what the NAUI MSD course is all about and what it entails or what it requires so don't talk about it spreading totally false information.
@BurhanMuntasser

I took the specs for both the PADI MSD and the NAUI MSD off their respective websites. Please tell me how I misrepresented NAUI MSD, I would be glad to hear it.

There was a big thread a long while on the MSDs. They differ of course. I know the NAUI one has basically the theory that the PADI DM course has. Exactly how this makes you a much better diver is debatable, as I've always thought that (at least in the "Old" PADI DM course that was up until 2010) there is a lot of interesting stuff to know, but much of it simply explains the rules you learned in OW course. The theory also involved a few formulas and data you need to know to safely raise someone's lost outboard motor from 100' (I haven't been asked to do that yet....). The 8 "extra" NAUI dives is also debatable. While you can get PADI MSD by including courses that are "fluff" or don't involve dives (like nitrox), you could also accumulate quite a few more than 8 dives with your 5 PADI specialties.
There are some added other benefits I read about with the NAUI MSD that I can't recall.
People have pointed out that there are some pretty terrible divemasters (and instructors) out there, so my take on MSD is I wouldn't assume a diver is "good" or "bad" based on which MSD card they have.

@BurhanMuntasser

I took the specs for both the PADI MSD and the NAUI MSD off their respective websites. Please tell me how I misrepresented NAUI MSD, I would be glad to hear it.

Talk to a NAUI instructor who teaches this course frequently. The NAUI MSD covers all of the essential specialties and a lot more. As it was mentioned above, the graduate of this course will have the knowledge and skill set equal to the knowledge of an entry level NAUI instructor (without the teaching credentials). NAUI Instructors are qualified to teach ALL basic specialties, there are at least 11 of them, from day one after they finish their ITC. In other words, the NAUI MSD graduate will have substantially more skill and knowledge than the person who holds the PADI "MSD" recognition/thank you sucker card.

Talk to a NAUI instructor who teaches this course frequently. The NAUI MSD covers all of the essential specialties and a lot more. As it was mentioned above, the graduate of this course will have the knowledge and skill set equal to the knowledge of an entry level NAUI instructor (without the teaching credentials). NAUI Instructors are qualified to teach ALL basic specialties, there are at least 11 of them, from day one after they finish their ITC. In other words, the NAUI MSD graduate will have substantially more skill and knowledge than the person who holds the PADI "MSD" recognition/thank you sucker card.
Hi @BurhanMuntasser

Thanks for your response. Wouldn't it be in NAUI's best interest to include some of this information on their website? I have no reason to disbelieve what you are saying but am skeptical about the 8 dives following AOW delivering on your statement, especially without rescue and first aid. Diving organizations are a lot like religion, including fervent believers. Other than SDI solo diver, I've not done any training since 2005. I'm sure I've lost touch with current training.

Good diving, Craig

Back
Top Bottom