Will PADI Recognize SSI specialties (Perfect Bouyancy)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks... I think you're seeing what I wrote for exactly what I meant.

Some people seem to be suggesting that we should treat people differently based on the cards they carry. I just don't subscribe to that.
Exactly. I've been an inactive DM now since 2015. I still re-read the DM and all my other manuals. 98% of my diving since then has been 20-30'- simple shore dives. I'm sure there are many OW divers with 1,000s of dives that are more diverse and better divers than me. I wonder how I should be "treated"?

Wouldn't it be in NAUI's best interest to include some of this information on their website?

There certainly is a lot that NAUI can do to improve its marketing and to gain better recognition for the value of its programs for sure :)

Last edited:
The fact you can't use an SSI speciality for PADI Master Diver is exactly why it exists in the first place. It's means that you only take PADI course in order to get the certification.

The fact you can't use an SSI speciality for PADI Master Diver is exactly why it exists in the first place. It's means that you only take PADI course in order to get the certification.

To be fair, SSI, IANTD, and SDI hold the same exclusion for their Master Scuba Diver recognition. NAUI is different as it is a course in their progression to DM and instructor, but you still get no credit from taking specialties from another Agency.

Bob

To be fair, SSI, IANTD, and SDI hold the same exclusion for their Master Scuba Diver recognition. NAUI is different as it is a course in their progression to DM and instructor, but you still get no credit from taking specialties from another Agency.

Bob

I am in the process of making this very topic into a video discussion on our YouTube channel. But @Bob DBF based off the 11 new Master Scuba Divers I certified in SSI in the year 2017 and the 6 new Divemasters I certifed, your statement is not accurate. As an SSI, PADI, PDIC, SEI, and CMAS Instructor, I can tell you that SSI will give you credit for any specialty you have from any recognized agency, and you can apply it towards not only your Advanced Adventure Certification, your Advanced Open Water Diver Certification, your Master Scuba Diver Certification, your Divemaster Certification, your Assistant Instructor Certification, and your Instructor Certification. To answer the original question, no PADI will not give you credit towards theirs unless you take 5 PADI specialties.

A significant difference between the two is the rescue or equivalent course is a prerequisite for the Padi course, while it is not with naui. So a unless a naui msd also had rescue, they would not necessarily have same knowledge as a naui entry level instructor.

Last edited:
A significant difference between the two is the rescue or equivalent course is a prerequisite for the Padi course, while it is not with naui. So a unless a naui msd also had rescue, they would not necessarily have same knowledge as a naui entry level instructor.
I did not know this. I always assumed that NAUI MSD required Rescue cert. How about EFR (CPR, etc.)--is that required? I would think both would obviously be required for the NAUI DM program, no?
Without Rescue it seems the argument that a NAUI MSD is "better" than a PADI one would be suspect for sure.
I agree with all those on SB who say Rescue is the one course every diver should take. I always recommend doing this as soon as your skills are up to it. I would think knowing the steps for dealing with a panicked buddy is probably more important than a lot of in-depth theory.

Last edited:
I'm still waiting on a NAUI instructor to let me know how the NAUI MSD covers so much more than the PADI MSD...because truly, I am interested in it if that is indeed the case. But no one is speaking up and their website seems to indicate otherwise.

Last edited:

I did not know this. I always assumed that NAUI MSD required Rescue cert. How about EFR (CPR, etc.)--is that required? I would think both would obviously be required for the NAUI DM program, no?
Without Rescue it seems the argument that a NAUI MSD is "better" than a PADI one would be suspect for sure.
I agree with all those on SB who say Rescue is the one course every diver should take. I always recommend doing this as soon as your skills are up to it. I would think knowing the steps for dealing with a panicked buddy is probably more important than a lot of in-depth theory.

I'm still waiting on a NAUI instructor to let me know how the NAUI MSD covers so much more than the PADI MSD...because truly, I am interested in it if that is indeed the case. But no one is speaking up and their website seems to indicate otherwise.

See my post #19. @BurhanMuntasser took exception but did not respond to how it was inaccurate. Most agencies have similar requirements for MSD. NAUI appears to be the outlier in not requiring rescue and having no minimum number of dives.

Maybe it's an east coast thing, but I've never witnessed anyone getting a "better seat" on a dive boat because of their MSD vs AOW card. But then I've never been on a dive boat with assigned seating.
I think what getting a "better seat" means refers to the group to which you are assigned by a dive operator working with large numbers of customers.

As an example, I dived with a large operator on the big island of Hawai'i. There were about 20 divers on the boat, and we were divided into 3 groups. When my group was briefed, we were told that we were getting an intern DM because all of us had more dives than the intern DM. That DM was just looking to get to know the area, and we were pretty much on our own to do a great dive. The other two groups were at a beginning level and were led carefully on beginner level dives.

I have used this example before whenever professionals brag about the way they only show basic cards when pleasure diving, hiding the fact that they are professionals. I wonder how many such stealth professionals were following the DMs on those carefully controlled, beginner level dives.

Dive operators usually try to sort out groups by ability, and the higher the level of the card you can show, the more likely you are to get a seat with the top group.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom