Will the United States Mine Deep-sea Seabeds?

Do you think the US should mine deep-sea seabeds?

• Yes. It would help our economy

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Yes. It would help jump start our transition to green energy supplies

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • No. The marine environment is too fragile and does not recover quickly from damage

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • No. We should put our efforts into other options for green energy supplies.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sea Save Foundation

Contributor
Reaction score
A rich deposit of rare earth elements including tellurium was found 300 miles off of the Canary Islands. The tellurium, which is used in solar panels, found in the seabed was 50,000 times higher than land deposits. The other rare earth elements found are used in wind turbines and electronics. Will this start a rush to deep-sea mining soon? Check out number 7 to read more.
upload_2017-4-21_11-18-6.png

It is an interesting question. I am not sure that there is a clear cut answer. Surface mining on land has been horribly destructive over the course of human history, so people will naturally worry about underwater mining.

My gut feel is that we have moved on, and any undersea mining is likely to be conducted under much more rigorous environmental safeguards. So long as we are happy it is being sufficiently regulated, I'm ok with it.

Back
Top Bottom