Will there be diving in the Philippines this summer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, I definitely think so... at some point.

I think a bigger question is "what will the travel restrictions be?".... How long will international travelers be required to undergo a 14 day quarantine upon arrival? (in Philippines or anywhere else really)

If flights and ferries open and you are there diving, suppose everything gets shut down again?? What happens if on the last day of your hotel stay with no flights and the hotel will not let you book?? Restaurants closed. I have a liveaboard to Tubbataha on June 18 ending up in Puerto Galera. Very very concerned at this juncture! I have read reports of tourists getting robbed that were stranded there when transportation got shut down. Don't think I am paranoid re this situation, I have a Filipina wife and traveled extensively in this beautiful country diving for years, just dont think it the right time. At present, I am trying to change dates of my liveaboard but to no avail thus far.

Yes, I definitely think so... at some point.

I think a bigger question is "what will the travel restrictions be?".... How long will international travelers be required to undergo a 14 day quarantine upon arrival? (in Philippines or anywhere else really)

“International travel might not happen this year, pending the travel restrictions of other nations. At this point in time, traveling is but a dream,” she added.

DOT drafts plan for new normal in Covid-19 aftermath

If flights and ferries open and you are there diving, suppose everything gets shut down again?? What happens if on the last day of your hotel stay with no flights and the hotel will not let you book?? Restaurants closed. I have a liveaboard to Tubbataha on June 18 ending up in Puerto Galera. Very very concerned at this juncture! I have read reports of tourists getting robbed that were stranded there when transportation got shut down. Don't think I am paranoid re this situation, I have a Filipina wife and traveled extensively in this beautiful country diving for years, just dont think it the right time. At present, I am trying to change dates of my liveaboard but to no avail thus far.

I think that's a pretty good assessment of the situation, and I don't think you're being too paranoid. There are so many possibilities based on unknowns at the moment.

I wish you luck, and hope that you can get your liveaboard re-arranged.

I am more worried that DTT will order police patrol boats to "shoot all divers at sight and don't let them resurface.. coz they are a covid threat" at the next outbreak :poke::rofl3:

I am more worried that DTT will order police patrol boats to "shoot all divers at sight and don't let them resurface.. coz they are a covid threat" at the next outbreak :poke::rofl3:
There is NO such thing as Police patrol boat in the country.
Coast Guard vessels are usually moored by the quay and seldom venture out far afield.

Everyone is looking over one's shoulder and see what others(countries) are doing!

I wonder how is the shabu situation in the country during the lock down!!

As for the question raised by the OP: Nobody knows for sure. Your guess is as good as everyone else.

It depends a bit on what you mean by "summer" - it's already the middle of summer here. It seems highly likely we'll be allowed to start diving again in the next 2-3 months, but who this will be accessible to due to travel restrictions is very unclear.

It depends a bit on what you mean by "summer" - it's already the middle of summer here. It seems highly likely we'll be allowed to start diving again in the next 2-3 months, but who this will be accessible to due to travel restrictions is very unclear.
All the BEST and take good care.

Well, there is zero chance of getting in the country before June 10th unless you are Filipino ...but if they have allowed Filipinos in between may 11th and June 10th , then it’s fair to say there may be a chance in the next round of lockdown easing if they allow non Filipinos to fly in from June 10th.

the arrival quarantine mandates will be the big thing.. if boats are allowed to sail from June 10th and there is no mandatory 14 day quarantine, then I think there is a chance, as long as you don’t mind quarantining when you get home..

Corrected from an earlier edit where i was misinformed that the 14 day quarantine was not in effect...appears it currently is..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom