Will this be safe to dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, I think I have the sickness as well. I have another question. I do powder coating at home and was wondering if there’s any reason I can’t powdercoat one of my 109’s? I could take off portions and plug the barrel where the guts of the regulator go.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think I have the sickness as well. I have another question. I do powder coating at home and was wondering if there’s any reason I can’t powdercoat one of my 109’s? I could take off portions and plug the barrel where the guts of the regulator go.

Power coating is fine.. you'll need to be very careful to preparer it but as far as a finish.. it'll be nice...

I really want to do a set of 109's or Conshelf's in black chrome...

Jim...

From what I have heard, you need to remove the chrome or it won't adhere. Also, you will change the dimensions, so things like the cover ring get interesting. Bryan at VDH attempted a Cerrakote on some and abandoned the idea...

I'd be curious as to someone pulling it off... I'd like to do the same with some more "seasoned" ones I have....

Power coating is fine.. you'll need to be very careful to preparer it but as far as a finish.. it'll be nice...

I really want to do a set of 109's or Conshelf's in black chrome...

Jim...

At one of my LDS he has a collection of vintage SP refs on display and one is an all black 109 (?) it looks super cool, I'll take a photo next time I'm there, I've tried to buy it but he won't sell.

Do some conshelfs Jim and post your results. I have quite a few new Conshelf face plates, I'll sacrifice one for the cause.

I just got finished buying gloss black powdercoat, some high heat tape, and plugs so I can powdercoat the 109 that’s in the worse shape of the two. I am looking forward to this little project. I haven’t powdercoated anything in years so it will be fun. I will make sure and take some pics along the way. Plan for prep is first sand blast to remove the flaking chrome and hopefully give the powdercoat something to bite on, then wipe down with some prep cleaner to remove anything left behind. Baked the reg at 400 degrees to burn off anything left and finally one more wipe with the prep cleaner. Should be good as I have used this method to put black translucent over polished aluminum before on a rifle reciever and never had any problem with it coming off.

Do some conshelfs

I received a painted Connie from a friend but could not bring myself to diving it. It's not powdercoated, but cool none-the-less. I payed it forward to a friend who has it in his personal museum.
ConshelfXIVfront_zps8ed61f77.jpg

I received a painted Connie from a friend but could not bring myself to diving it. It's not powdercoated, but cool none-the-less. I payed it forward to a friend who has it in his personal museum.
View attachment 448871

I like it a lot. When I win the lottery or get a job paying more than minimum wage I'm going to buy a new Con 14 and have it powder coated just to look at and post photos at every opportunity on SB.

I had a 108 that a guy gave me. The chrome was so bad that I just stripped it all off and polished up the brass. It looked incredible!

I've stripped chrome off by using strait vinegar and the results are as one would expect. I would like to hear about the stripping, polishing (and clear coating if you've done that) technique you recommend. I have a candidate for just such a project.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom