Will this be safe to dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If the chrome will all come off in a vinegar bath it would be great.. you "really" need to remove coatings that are coming lose.. Other wise the new top coat sticks to the coating and it'll start flaking off from the base metal..

If you had to.. Glass beading would work good to prep it... Then polishing the brass to receive the new coating or re-chromed.. The more time you spend in prep the better the end result will be.. The finish's that you can do is endless..

Now, The money you spend is not to be counted or recorded.. And only spoken on a dive boat of friends well drinking rum after a great day of diving.. And no non-divers around that will spill the beans to the wife....

Jim..

Last edited:
Here is one i did, just paint
38792954360_62019272e7_c.jpg

26731017218_98ce0ebb62_c.jpg

I like the idea of powder coating

If the chrome will all come off in a vinegar bath it would be great.. you "really" need to remove coatings that are coming lose.. Other wise the new top coat sticks to the coating and it'll start flaking off from the base metal..

If you had to.. Glass beading would work good to prep it... Then polishing the brass to receive the new coating or re-chromed.. The more time you spend in prep the better the end result will be.. The finish's that you can do is endless..

Now, The money you spend is not to be counted or recorded.. And only spoken on a dive boat of friends well drinking rum after a great day of diving.. And no non-divers around that will still the beans to the wife....

Jim..
Yeah, I’m going to have to lie to myself about how much time and money will be invested in this thing.

Here is one i did, just paint
View attachment 448881
View attachment 448882
I like the idea of powder coating
That looks sweet!

I'd love one of these in the Mancave :cool:

Scubapro MK10 Gold G250.jpg

I really want to do a set of 109's or Conshelf's in black chrome...
Jim...
Would look great but Black PVD is much more durable UW... XS Scuba use it on their Thermo one piece double manifold

VMT500-30N-Thermo-PVD-One-Piece-Manifold.jpg

Thermo PVD One-Piece Manifold

PVD coatings have a wide array of advantages over black chrome processes.
Depending on the application, trivalent or hexavalent black chrome may be the right choice.
When you’re searching for a true or very dark black coating, you may want to consider exploring the PVD option.

• With the proper coating system, PVD can provide a true black finish
  • PVD coatings have excellent wear and corrosion resistance
  • PVD coatings are considered a green process and are RoHS compliant
  • PVD is a great choice for decorative finishes
  • Can be applied in a smooth, brushed or bead blasted finish
  • PVD has a significantly higher curability than chrome
  • The LTAVD process can be used to apply PVD true black to plastics
Black Chrome vs Black PVD - What is the Best Choice?

So, the chrome plating is compromised and the brass or copper flash is exposed. If there is more corrosion before the next service, is there a possibility that some of the corrosion could come off and be inhaled? If so, how dangerous to your lungs is inhaled chrome, copper, or verdigris?

Once out of the vinegar and water bath and a quick burnish with bronze wool (less aggressive than steel wool on brass parts) I'd say there is very little chance of further chrome flaking off.
However there IS a chance of verdigris growing on the now-exposed fresh brass surface inside a relatively closed regulator body during storage, despite proper rinsing.
That's why I suggested using the Birchwood Casey Brass Black or similar to oxidise the fresh brass and create a more stable surface.

Last edited:
I've stripped chrome off by using strait vinegar and the results are as one would expect. I would like to hear about the stripping, polishing (and clear coating if you've done that) technique you recommend. I have a candidate for just such a project.
I just sanded off what chrome was left with 400 then went over that with some 800 wet, and finally used a brown Tripoli bar with cotton mini buffing wheels on a die grinder.
The final hand rub was done with brasso. I just left it open brass, I didn’t clear it. A quick touch up with brasso brought it right up whenever it needed it. I only dived it twice after doing all that, then I sold it.

That's why I suggested using the Birchwood Casey Brass Black or similar to oxidise the fresh brass and create a more stable surface.

Looking at the Safety Data Sheet is a bit concerning but I guess most of it is relevant to Brass Black in the liquid state. Any idea how well it holds up in salt water?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom