Will this equipment be allowed for DIR-F

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gentlegiant

Contributor
Reaction score
I know there are a lot of equipment threads right now, but I think that this one will cover some new ground. I am looking to do DIR-f either later this year (have to see how the vacation situation works out) or early next year, probably in Ft. Lauderdale. I have already made some equipment changes but I want to see if this setup will be allowed:

Doubles - Genesis/Asahi HP120, highland bands, genesis manifold (wife switched back to AL 80 tanks so I had 3 extra HP 120 tanks and decided to double up a pair of them)

Backplate - Aluminum Fred T Xtra long plate with 2" harness, have a SS plate of the same design as well, but with the tanks usually do not need the extra weight. Might change once I start diving dry.

Wing - Using a DR wing for now, will buy either an Oxycheq or Halcyon before class

Regs - Apeks TX-50s with proper length hoses

Thigh pockets via a pair of the X-Shorts. I will probably be in a dry suit by class time as well.

I know that the tanks and plate might be an issue for some, that is why I am asking. I am already spending a lot of money on gear so I am trying to re-use where I can and I would rather spend the $1k on a drysuit than on additional tanks.

Sorry if this is a repetitive thread. I did some searching and did not really find anything that answered all my questions.

Your best bet is to ask your Instructor...

gentlegiant:
I know there are a lot of equipment threads right now, but I think that this one will cover some new ground. I am looking to do DIR-f either later this year (have to see how the vacation situation works out) or early next year, probably in Ft. Lauderdale. I have already made some equipment changes but I want to see if this setup will be allowed:

Doubles - Genesis/Asahi HP120, highland bands, genesis manifold (wife switched back to AL 80 tanks so I had 3 extra HP 120 tanks and decided to double up a pair of them)

Backplate - Aluminum Fred T Xtra long plate with 2" harness, have a SS plate of the same design as well, but with the tanks usually do not need the extra weight. Might change once I start diving dry.

Wing - Using a DR wing for now, will buy either an Oxycheq or Halcyon before class

Thigh pockets via a pair of the X-Shorts. I will probably be in a dry suit by class time as well.

I know that the tanks and plate might be an issue for some, that is why I am asking. I am already spending a lot of money on gear so I am trying to re-use where I can and I would rather spend the $1k on a drysuit than on additional tanks.

Sorry if this is a repetitive thread. I did some searching and did not really find anything that answered all my questions.
If you're thinking of doing the DIRF at Brownies, I would call and talk to Dean Marshall or Sonya Tittle. I took the class with Dean. I had equipment issues as I was a typical recreational diver moving from a jacket, etc. to DIR setup. Dean encouraged me to come in and talk with him before signing up. He took time to answer all my questions and was very encouraging. I have since met Sonya who will also be teaching fundamentals, and she's great as well.

I took the class in singles, E7-100s, with an AL plate. A steel plate would have made me too heavy with my tanks. I think generally these tanks are frowned upon as being somewhat unbalanced and head heavy, but they created no problems for me as singles.

A classmate was diving twinned E7-120s and was having problems with trim. Dean attributed some of those problems to the tanks and urged him to reconsider his tank choice. Dean also mentioned that in Fundamentals, a certain amount of deviation from standards was acceptable but that if we were to go further, more rigid adherence to those standards would be required. I think I recall him saying that eventually only LP104s (or their current equivalent) or AL80s would be acceptable for backgas. But I may be wrong on this. Again, I would give him a call. He's a good guy.

Also, I was diving wet and had no pockets. This was not a problem for me diving singles but I think double steel tanks are discouraged if your diving wet becauses it would be difficult to swim them up from depth in the event of a wing failure.

One last thing. If you're going to come to FTL, I would try to do it before November or wait until after March. It's way too easy to get blown out during the winter months in which case you'll spend your time driving down to Jule's Lodge in Key Largo to dive in a canal. Better to come to FTL and dive in the ocean.

gentlegiant:
I have already made some equipment changes but I want to see if this setup will be allowed:

Your instructor will cover the reasons for the manifolds that we recommend, but given that many students rent tank(s) for the classes and that we often use shops that may not have "proper" tanks this would not be a dispositive issue.

We cover the benefits of using a BP and wing set up versus a jacket style BC as such using a Fred T would be acceptable. Al -v- SS is completely an issue of weighting systems and will be covered during the class. "Generally" speaking, and I really really emphasize generally, it's more beneficial to use an AL BP in warm fresh water and a SS BP in the colder salt water.

I'd recommend the Halcyon but any of the above will satisfy the equipment requirement.

Thigh pockets via a pair of the X-Shorts. I will probably be in a dry suit by class time as well.[/quote/

Both of the above will be fine

I would hold off spending the money on the drysuit until after the class. We spend a great deal of time discussing drysuits and thermal protection, which is often overlooked by dive shop personel when you walk in off the street to buy a suit. We'll go into zipper placement, proper shell, fitting, thermal protection and so on and so forth. I can't tell you how many students I've had that have said to me how much they wish that they hadn't spent the money until AFTER the class. Fortunately there is E-bay to resolve much of the buyers remorse ;-)

Let me know how else I can help, and also feel free to ask your instructor ahead of time I'm sure s\he will be happy to help..

Regards

Michael H. Kane

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom