Will This Surgery Ruin My Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mattroz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
On January 30th I'm going in to get surgery on my throat which is supposed to fix my OSAS, (obstuctive sleep apnea) the surgery is called UVULOPALATOPHARYNGOPLASTY where they remove the uvula, excess tissue on the palet, I'm also getting my tonsils and adnoids removed. Does anyone know if there would be long term effects to my diving?

Thanks

Matt

P.S i know this isn't a decompression question but i thought this would fit

I'm not an ENT doc, but I can't see how this surgery would impact your diving after the initial healing period. My guess is that a substantial proportion of us divers of a certain age had our tonsils and adenoids removed as kids, anyway. The palatoplasty just removes redundant tissue and makes the soft palate more taut. As far as I can imagine, that shouldn't have any detrimental effect.

Thats what I thought, but why not ask for a 2nd opinion right? Happy Holidays Everyone

have you contacted DAN ?(divers alert network) they have doctors that answer diving related questions. they have helped me with answers to dive related problems in the past and are really the experts that would be in the know !!

I had all of that work done and then some two years ago. I have had no problem with diving after evrything healed. Good Luck.

san diego diver:
have you contacted DAN ?(divers alert network) they have doctors that answer diving related questions. they have helped me with answers to dive related problems in the past and are really the experts that would be in the know !!
That's always my first approach - call DAN. I called them in Oct on the way to the ER for a sore & swollen leg while diving - my near stroke incident. They encouraged me to not make any stops on the way. :wink: Recovery is about complete, btw.

Then I came her to discuss it additionally, obtaining experiences from other dives - like the very helpful post by Norm Cover. :thumb:

mattroz:
On January 30th I'm going in to get surgery on my throat which is supposed to fix my OSAS, (obstuctive sleep apnea) the surgery is called UVULOPALATOPHARYNGOPLASTY where they remove the uvula, excess tissue on the palet, I'm also getting my tonsils and adnoids removed. Does anyone know if there would be long term effects to my diving?

Ah, the UPPP or "throat-O-rooter!" It's a bit out of my specialty area, but it's hard to imagine that once healed there will be any issues with diving. I'd worry more about diving with untreated OSA.

Come back and tell us how the surgery goes!

I went in for an exam about 7 years ago and the Doc said I had the worst case of OSA he had ever seen. Sent me to another Doc he considered the best in the field and she agreed. Too severe for surgery unless I were to lose enough weight to reduce my neck size by three inches! (And I'm not a really big guy to start)

Until I get the surgery, you do NOT want to share a cabin with me on a liveaboard. My snores can be picked up by seismographs half a world away!

Good luck and fast healing. Please do report back.

First of all, I have been diagnosed with OSA many years ago. I have a CPAP machine, a dental mouthpiece to hold my jaw forward when I sleep and finally had the PPP surgery. Now what I am going to tell you now is in no way intended to scare you but in my case was reality. After the surgery the doctor told me to come back in two weeks. When I did I told him that it was a good thing I did not see him last week because I would have killed him (I am serious) and he said that is why he says wait two weeks. I lost 25 lbs in two weeks. I tell people that if the Dr. gives you a choice of living six months or the surgery...enjoy your six months. It was the absolute worse experience of my life. Pain beyond description. My wife would take a popsicle and break it up and let it melt down my throat just to get something into me. It was that bad.
Now afterwards and as far as diving. Until you learn how to deal with the loss of the tissues back there, you will choke at times, get water up into your sinus etc. As far as diving goes, no problems but be aware that you might be more prone to choking and coughing and just plan for it. IOW, keep your reg in and cough through it. I tend to breath through my nose after a while due to wearing the CPAP machine. I have recently determined that some of this is due to improper breathing technique so I do not attribute it to the surgery. BTW, there are many different surgical procedures other than a total removal of the uvala. One doctor described one where there is a needle inserted into the excess tissue area and heated up to burn a hole. After the hole heals it pulls the area tighter.
Good luck, hang in there because it won't last forever. Let us know how it goes.

Thanks for all your help! the surgery is jan 30th so you won't get that update for a while! I know it's going to hurt and i know that sometimes it's not successful but seeing as i'm only 19 years old and it seems to be genetic because my dad has it and i'm maybe 5-10 pounds overweight. I definately do not feel like sleeping with my full face cpap everynight for the rest of my life so i have to try this! thanks for your concern everyone

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom