Will This Surgery Ruin My Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello readers:

I was out for several days with a bad case of the flu. Back again now.

I also have obstructive sleep apnea and use a CPAP machine. It was very successful for me. It might be tried before surgery.

Dr Deco :doctor:

I had it several years ago, other than not having that hangy-thing in the back of my throat, no problems. Get baby food and take your meds with applesauce. As with all surgery 6-8 weeks for recovery, then back to normal. With your doctor's blessing, of course.

Wow so i did the surgery. it went very well and the doctor was able to remove lots of obstructing flesh... but you guys weren't kidding wow i have a sore throat... It's too bad too because i just got a new BP/W and a 7ft hose put on my regs... won't be able to try it out for a lil while...

I'm not an ENT doc, but I can't see how this surgery would impact your diving after the initial healing period. My guess is that a substantial proportion of us divers of a certain age had our tonsils and adenoids removed as kids, anyway. The palatoplasty just removes redundant tissue and makes the soft palate more taut. As far as I can imagine, that shouldn't have any detrimental effect.
I just read your reply to the person inquiring about diving after a UPPP, it's been a while (Dec 05) and while you may not remember I thought I would pose a followup question....Is it possible for scar tissur buildup to interfere wiht the function of the eustation tube after the surgery?

I would think this might impact your ability to clear your sinuses and equalize without holding your nose. It may also require you to relearn how to breath only through your mouth.

Check with DAN. Even if you are not a member (which all divers should be) I believe they will talk with you.

Jeff

i am also a CPAP user. It really helped me. It is not so good for the love life, so yuo'll have to work out a routine for that issue. I am not too sure when you need to start searching out surgery? Is it when you can no longer get by with CPAP? Just wondering, because I used to sleep without the CPAP, and thought I was sleeping well, but woke up tired. Now I can't even take a nap, because I wake myself up from the snoring. Not joking here, Really!! I need to have that CPAP with me all the time. I carry one in my car, and keep one at home, due to my work, I never know when I might need to stay over in a hotel, or short nap in the car. Its a pain, but I do sleep better.

I forgot to mentione that y wife and I dive about 3-5 times a year for week long vacations. Never had a problem, except a few dive ops had never heard of it.. One place had no 110 Volt power after the bar closed, so we had to work out a battery/inverter situation. Everything worked out fine.

Check with DAN. Even if you are not a member (which all divers should be) I believe they will talk with you.

Jeff
Posting only to that: Yes!

1-I encountered a diver in a chat room :silly: last night who was in Turks and Caicos, knew I dived some, asked me about some post dive symptoms he was having, and I talked him into calling DAN's 24/7 hot line. They put him thru to a dive doc right away who gave him an impressive consultation and encouraged him to call back if needed. Didn't think it was a dive injury so much as travel pains.

2-He said he dived so little that it wasn't worth getting insurance, so I told him a few stories to support never trying that approach. $99 a year vs $100,000 and up; having to pay the bills up front and seek reimbursement from your other insurance company if they cover diving; in some cases - getting only O2 treatment until you die because you can't get charity chamber rides or medical evacuations. He is a British citizen, so I told him to talk with his BSAC friends about the possible need, and this goes for those who get their dive insurance coverage elsewhere too - at least get the $29 DAN membership that supports the organization and includes Travel Assist.

Back
Top Bottom