Wilmington wetsuit thickness?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AustinV

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My buddy and I have a few days of diving booked with Aquatic Safaris first few weeks of September. Have never dived south of Nags Head, up there we are wearing 7 mms. What are temps like and what are people generally wearing for suits in the 80-100 foot range in Wilmington? Thanks in advance!

I'm have a 4/3 that is probably more like a 4/2 full suit. I've been very comfortable in that suit on almost every dive. I did encounter a deeper dive once where the bottom temp was 72 and I was a tad chilly, but not a big deal. Of course the ocean will do what it wants, but normally expect water temps in the upper 70s that time of year. Most people on most dives would probably be fine in a 3 mm full suit.

Was there this weekend, Used a 3mm full wetsuit with a 2mm vest, 5mm gloves. Water was 78 at 65 feet and never felt a thermocline, of course that can change but I was very comfortable

Naturally, a lot will depend on the individual's tolerance to cold/heat. Last year in late August, I was with a group diving the Gill and Hyde wrecks with Aquatic Safaris. When we dropped down on the Gill (1st dive) the temps were in the upper 70s but dropped to around 72° at around 65-70 feet. Several people were cold wearing from 3 to 5 mm wetsuits. When I hit the thermocline wearing a 3mm Henderson Thermaxx, my first thought was "Ahhhhh!"

I was out Saturday (8/25/18) with Aquatic Safaris. The first dive was at the Normania: 38 miles offshore, I had a max depth of 103 feet and bottom temp of 79 degrees. The second dive was at Sue's Ledge: 27 miles offshore, again I had a max depth of 103 feet, this time bottom temp of 72 degrees. The difference is the more offshore dive is in the gulf stream. I had a 3mm vest on for both dives but I'm pretty tolerant of the cold (but I still got chilly on the second dive).

The location of the dive and which eddy is swirling through make a big difference. I dove the Hyde (18 miles off shore) two weeks ago and was comfortable in a full 3 mm with a beanie. Some friends dove last weekend. There was a thermocline and less viz the last few feet. They say 72 at the bottom and all the 3 mm folks got chilly. I tend to poke around and do not need to kick much so I will wear something thicker. I am diving this Saturday. I will bring my 5mm baer full suit. I will wear a beanie. In my bag I will have a 5/3 hooded vest that I can switch to on dive two if I get chilly on dive 1. My philosophy is that it is easy to vent heat but hard to vent cold. By late September I may be switching to my 7. Though to be honest my Henderson hyperstrecth 7 is not really that much warmer than my Baer 5. Think the Baer is a bit less compressible.

Anybody ever dive out of Wilmington in December? Wondering what water temps will be...

Anybody ever dive out of Wilmington in December? Wondering what water temps will be...

Funny you should ask I am slated to try this Saturday. I depends on how far out your are diving. The closer to shore, usually the cooler it gets. I will be trying to dive at the Hyde which is 18 miles from the inlet. I expect low 60s maybe as low as 60. So comfortable in a 7mm. If you are further out at deeper wrecks or ledges closer to the gulf stream it will be warmer.

I dove the Hyde out of Wilmington on Dec. 3, 2017. I had a max depth of 80ft with a bottom temp of 65 degrees. I'm also scheduled to dive out of Wilmington this Saturday, Dec. 1st, if the weather allows. I can let you know then.

See you on the boat @Steve_C .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom