Windy Point

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That has to suck, right? :wink: I've been diving locally the past couple weekends helping with OW classes and I will be tomorrow and Sunday as well. We have two classes that will be combined. One class from SMU of 20 and then one from the shop that's either 6 or 8. So it's going to be a big class. My instructor would like all of us DMT's out there to help but I'm sure a couple won't make it. There are 7 in class but due to crappy weather Wednesday night only 3 of us made it to class and one of us isn't going to the lake. So I guess we'll see how many we end up with tomorrow. I thought the instructor was going to send out an email asking everyone to show up but so far I haven't seen it. Guess we'll find out. I was hoping to get out to WP soon but looks like that won't be happening for a while. Moreover, I wanted to dive Spring Lake, too. Guess we'll get there soon enough.

It only takes a few dives in Spring Lake to see it all, only 1 to see the whole Training Area. Where are you doing the classes?

On the plus side, if you can exhibit good buoyancy and trim skills at 15 feet in Spring Lake then you can exhibit them anywhere.

It only takes a few dives in Spring Lake to see it all, only 1 to see the whole Training Area. Where are you doing the classes?
We were supposed to go last weekend and then stop there to see another site that's not run by Meadows that's still Spring Lake but doesn't require their Eco class. But the weather had other plans. So I helped here locally with an OW class just to get more experience as a DM. There's some fairly exciting news on our DM class that I'm not yet at liberty to discuss but it should be a step in the right direction. Not a huge deal really, just not public knowledge as of yet.

Reactions: Foo
On the plus side, if you can exhibit good buoyancy and trim skills at 15 feet in Spring Lake then you can exhibit them anywhere.
Fingers crossed on that one. Me and a buddy are doing the Spring Lake class tomorrow and the weather is finally cooperating. Supposed to be 84 and sunny in San Marcos.

We were supposed to go last weekend and then stop there to see another site that's not run by Meadows that's still Spring Lake but doesn't require their Eco class. But the weather had other plans. So I helped here locally with an OW class just to get more experience as a DM. There's some fairly exciting news on our DM class that I'm not yet at liberty to discuss but it should be a step in the right direction. Not a huge deal really, just not public knowledge as of yet.

I'm excited about the news (because you're excited). That's why I love the Comal drift dive, if you can glide along just above the bottom at 4-6', you know you're buoyancy is good - that's how I learned dry suit.

Fingers crossed on that one. Me and a buddy are doing the Spring Lake class tomorrow and the weather is finally cooperating. Supposed to be 84 and sunny in San Marcos.

I bet you really enjoy it. My wife and I did that back when it was called Diving for Science (and they tore up the facilities) and have enjoyed diving there since.

Reactions: Foo

You can get almost to 30' in Deep Hole if you stick your depth gauge far enough in the spring. That being said, I have seen too many divers porpoise to the surface at the transitions into/out of Ossified Forrest.

I'm excited about the news (because you're excited). That's why I love the Comal drift dive, if you can glide along just above the bottom at 4-6', you know you're buoyancy is good - that's how I learned dry suit.

I bet you really enjoy it. My wife and I did that back when it was called Diving for Science (and they tore up the facilities) and have enjoyed diving there since.
It was a good time (aside from the terrible volunteer DM who landed on my head and yelled at my buddy for no reason)

That's annoying. Texas State student?
No, we also dove with a TSU student who was great (and I tipped).

The problem DM was a large older woman with a really ****** attitude who they said worked with Tom's Scuba.

No, we also dove with a TSU student who was great (and I tipped).

The problem DM was a large older woman with a really ****** attitude who they said worked with Tom's Scuba.
Sorry to hear you had a s****y DM. Guess she hasn't quite figured out that a bad attitude won't get her anywhere and certainly won't get her decent tips. I spent my weekend DM'ing (in training) an OW class. Vis was about 8 feet and in some spots went down to < 3 because of silt. But it was still good fun. Bottom temp of about 70 F with no thermocline, which was interesting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom