Wing and Octopus position

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

He is going to turn up one day with a configuration which is backwards and they with think “OMG, another one has been on the Internet!”. Then they need to figure out what to do next. This is likely to result in awkward conversations. He will be diving with other club members and other students and they will have expectations that the AS process works in the way he and they have been trained. On a boat of 12, 11 with be wondering why he doesn’t just get his primary fixed, and thinking it is a bit poor to be diving without an AS.

Once he has done the GUE course and is trained in a proper hog loop he will be expected to show his buddy how the system works. Since the proper process for that configuration includes checking it is rigged properly that is not a huge overhead, although leaving it until you are on the boat is a bit late really it is what generally happens.

There might be an rule not to dive with other Ocean Divers in those configurations though. Given they are inexperienced and have enough going on without random AS systems to deal with. This rule stops me diving a rebreather with Ocean Divers.

In the OP’s branch there are a variety of people who will react at all points of the spectrum from saying ok, through laughing at him and all the way to calling him a **** very loudly.
Are you saying that he shouldn’t switch because he could have people disapprove, alienate, call him names etc etc? Do this happen in UK clubs?

I joined my club with a very different set up to everyone else (bpw longhose) and a lot less dives) and no one said anything to me, only compliments after dive. I you get rude comments just keep your head, you know who you won’t dive with. I’ve never heard of gear shame but that’s just mad to think that people actually do that. Adults doing that.

What’s an AS system ?

After fundies he is at least trained, which is a recognised position. Hopefully his fundies instructor will have an opinion on how to manage diving with people trained in other systems.
Just do your checks and explain your equipment and do the same with theirs. There’s not big problem diving with someone in a jacket and shorthose oct setup, it’s just less ideal for you and more ideal for them in an OOG situation :confused:

You’re right though.

Are you saying that he shouldn’t switch because he could have people disapprove, alienate, call him names etc etc? Do this happen in UK clubs?

I joined my club with a very different set up to everyone else (bpw longhose) and a lot less dives) and no one said anything to me, only compliments after dive. I you get rude comments just keep your head, you know who you won’t dive with. I’ve never heard of gear shame but that’s just mad to think that people actually do that. Adults doing that.

What’s an AS system ?

AS stands for alternate supply or alternate source of gas. When a diver is out of gas they need an alternative.

You were using a normal long hose not an octo hose dived in a reverse way. What was being described (22inch secondary, 40inch primary under the arm etc) would lead people to wonder why he was doing that.

There is every chance someone would take the piss. People do that, they are not being nasty, it is just a game.

Dive clubs contain people and people generally like to have a laugh. Topics are likely to include being unable to drink properly, being too tight to buy a round, being too stupid to remember who was drinking what, kicking up the bottom, pulling the shot out of the wreck, being rubbish on air, being scared of congers, being outwitted by a lobster, being slow to kit up, missing ropes off, or believing what the internet has to say about diving. It doesn’t have to be true.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom