Wing durability (plane hand luggage)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

llyamah

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all

Trying to manage weight on a holiday and am thinking about trying to pack my bp/w in my hand luggage.

How durable are wings? Can they be safely rolled and put in a backpack?

In theory yes. If I were to do it (very unlikely) I'd remove the Inflator hose and the lower dump valve (making sure to keep all the parts securely to) to prevent damage and then roll it with a towel or similar to prevent it becoming to tightly rolled

Personally I'd just pack it flat in my checked luggage - but that's me

I wouldn’t recommend rolling the wing. Get a backpack large enough for it to lay flat. I separate the wing from the backplate, remove the cam bands and inflator. I bought a 50L Kelty Redwing years ago and can fit everything in there (BP/W, regs, mask, wetsuit, computers, GoPro, tray, lights, change of clothes, raincoat, boots/booties). The only critical piece of gear placed in checked are fins. If your checked luggage is delayed simply rent a pair of fins and go dive.

Back
Top Bottom