Wing for tall person

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

James Ocean

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all,
Are there wings which are better suited to taller people? I’m 6’5 205lbs.
Do some wings allow you sit higher above the water at the surface?

First, Wings are not life vests ...

Option 1 is that many wings have multiple grommet holes allowing you to adjust them up/down.

Option 2 is to "be an otter" and float on your back.

what he said. Higher at the surface=crotch strap so the rig doesn't ride up on you.
Other than that, a wing is a wing. At 6'4" I feel your pain, but the wing is pretty irrelevant

I ask this question as Dive Rite have some wings which state their suited to tall divers. Is this marketing BS?
First paragraph of item description...
Dive Rite Rec EXP Wing

yes. do NOT buy a rec wing for single tank diving unless you live in the PNW and dive wet with a 130 *which IMO you shouldn't do anyway*

Why is this?

too big, too wide. Great wing for tiny doubles or rebreathers, mediocre if you need 45lbs of lift, stupid for single tanks.
Being tall has nothing to do with where the wing needs to provide lift. That wing is wide, wide is bad on single tanks.

the type of wing that "might" be better for a tall person would be taller. This would allow for the air to be along more of the axis of the body, potentially aiding in offsetting the possibility of the legs being longer (heavier)...

At 6'7", I am "leg heavy", and do notice a shorter wing not being as much to my liking.

Perhaps the benefit of me liking a narrow wing is that it tends to be longer.

Not at all what is being marketed in the item above....

YMMV

6’5” is tall, but it’s not THAT tall, as far as consideration for BP/W and wing go. I’m in the 6’3” to 6’4” range (I just claim 6’3”) and I’ve had no issues with a 32lb wing from HOG, which sits like any other wing you’re going to find in that size range.

A couple other things:

1. While wearing any kind of wetsuit...I can fully inflate my wing and ride fairly high in the water. If I’m just wearing a dive skin, I put less gas in the wing to prevent the face plant thing.

2. You can always roll over on your back (the “otter” thing mentioned above) and float like that.

Back
Top Bottom