Wing inflator hose length/location/reach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

risc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Trying to get my BPW dialed in, it seems like the inflator hose is shorter than would be optimal. I can grab it to add air without much problem, but to deflate I have to grab it and and rotate my grip or contort my arm to get a hold of it exhaust up, very difficult in thick gloves.

I've got one snug bungie loop up on my shoulder and a very loose loop down at the d-ring. If I elevate the exhaust above the wing, it stretches the bungie quite a lot and looks like it could kink/crush/damage the corrugated hose over time. It seems like a longer hose wouldn't really help this.

Standing normal:
IMG_20190421_172455.jpg

Reaching to inflate:
IMG_20190421_172511.jpg

Reaching for deflate orientation, see how wrist is kinked:
IMG_20190421_172520.jpg

Extending deflator:

IMG_20190421_172525.jpg

My single tank wing originally had a 12” corrugated hose. Switched it for a 16” hose, which was much better.

If you think it's too short you can easily swap it out for a longer one, Corrugated Hoses. OTOH, the only time I ever dump air out of mine is on the surface at the beginning of the dive, assuming I'm not doing a negative entry. For the rest of the time, I use the rear dump exclusively.

Should be fine in the water. You don't dive standing up in front of a mirror. Give it a try before you start changing things. You can always change the hose lengths if it's not working.

Should be fine in the water. You don't dive standing up in front of a mirror. Give it a try before you start changing things. You can always change the hose lengths if it's not working.

Sorry, I've tried it twice in the pool. It's worse with gloves.

If you think it's too short you can easily swap it out for a longer one, Corrugated Hoses. OTOH, the only time I ever dump air out of mine is on the surface at the beginning of the dive, assuming I'm not doing a negative entry. For the rest of the time, I use the rear dump exclusively.

Hum, I've never used the dump valve underwater. It's not the way I was taught but I think I might try that. I like the separation of duties, I'm well past it now but one mistake I kept making when getting certified was mixing up inflate/deflate.

Hum, I've never used the dump valve underwater. It's not the way I was taught but I think I might try that. I like the separation of duties, I'm well past it now but one mistake I kept making when getting certified was mixing up inflate/deflate.

The placement looks fine in the pictures. 12-16 inches. Some of the measurements are funny depending on the manufacturer---a 16in measuring 14.5 corrugated section, etc. I have had super short inflator hoses, the one in the pictures appears to be a longer/normal length. Except for when you are on the surface and begin your initial descent (0-3ft), all the dumping of air should be done using the rear dump. The rear dump is more effective and easier to reach and control than trying to adjust buoyancy with the inflator valve.The below is a nice video and the techniques can clearly be seen at the 30 and 50 second marks.

A question for the OP: why do you route the inflator over the right shoulder?

As far as damaging the corrugated hose, don't worry. That won't happen. I like the bungee to be quite tight so that I always know where the inflator is (muscle memory). I deflate with the back deflator while in horizontal position. Much easier.

AJ:
A question for the OP: why do you route the inflator over the right shoulder?

I took the picture in the mirror. I thought about flipping it back but thought that would be more confusing.

Back
Top Bottom