Wing Inflator hose length

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gcbryan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I've read about concerns regarding the different inflator hose lengths. This is usually a DIR issue I believe and concerns Halcyon vs DSS or others.

What is the concern? Others are too long?

If you're looking for the DIR answer, this might not be the best forum. Try turning the question around: how long do you think the inflator hose should be?

From a hogarthian standpoint, I don't know if inflator hose length is anything more than personal preference. I have the short inflator on my Oxycheq wing because it is always in the same place. In other words, it's just short enough so after it goes through the bungee at the shoulder D-ring there is just a little length left, so it stays put.

My doubles wings (Dive Rite Classic Wing) has a longer inflator hose and I don't like it as much one the shorter one, since it can "lay" in a slightly different spot, but it's really not that big of a deal.

A long inflator hose, when in a horizontal position, can simply hang straight down, and they really do get in the way. OMS wings tend to come stock with absurdly long inflator hoses that I've seen hang down from people 8-12 inches, for instance. That's neither streamlined nor necessary.

The inflator hose needs to be long enough to allow oral inflation. There is no "magic" lenght.

The location where the inflator attaches to the wing, how high or low the wing is mounted on the backplate, where the backplate is fit on the diver, and how thick the diver is from front to back, i.e. barrel chested vs thin framed all effect the required hose lenght.

An inch or 2 longer than the absolute minimum required for oral inflation does not result major danglies, too short to orally inflate can be dangerous.

I typically fit a 14 inch hose to our single wings, and 15 1/2 inch hoses to our doubles wings.

Jonnythan is correct, there are absurdly long hoses fit to some wings, I've seen 29" long ones.......

Tobin

Tobin, why a longer hose on the doubles wings?

jonnythan:
Tobin, why a longer hose on the doubles wings?

Our Doubles wings have more volume in the "top arc" than our singles wings. When diving doubles one usually has more gas in the wing, heavier gear, more "weight of gas" to offset. When the larger volume of the top arc inflates, it pulls the hose location further from the diver's back.

Tobin

That makes perfect sense to me. Thanks.

Was this something that you/your testers noticed while prototyping your wings (and subsequently fixed by going to a longer inflator), or did you build it in from the start?

jonnythan:
That makes perfect sense to me. Thanks.

Was this something that you/your testers noticed while prototyping your wings (and subsequently fixed by going to a longer inflator), or did you build it in from the start?

Jonnythan,

Empericially derived IIRC. Kinda like "how come the same hose we were using on the singles is such a PITA to orally inflate on this doubles wing?"

Tobin

cool_hardware52:
Jonnythan,

Empericially derived IIRC. Kinda like "how come the same hose we were using on the singles is such a PITA to orally inflate on this doubles wing?"

Tobin
:D

Thanks for the info Tobin.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom