wing mounting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fire_diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Ok, I've got a question for y'all. Lately I'm not sure that my wing/plate is set up correctly.

I have a "H" explorer 55# wing. When I inflate the wing (mounted) it bunches up and kinks behind my head. I can still equalize between the sides, but it takes a while, and I can hear the air moving from one side to the other.

Now to wing mounting. Is the wing supposed to be "sandwiched" between the tanks and the plate? Or should there be another washer/nut set that allows the plate/wing to be secured tightly, but without smashing it against the tank?

Heck, I'm not sure if even that would stop it from kinking all together. Could my wing have been assembled a bit wrong?

Comrade Stroke

fire_diver:
Ok, I've got a question for y'all. Lately I'm not sure that my wing/plate is set up correctly.

I have a "H" explorer 55# wing. When I inflate the wing (mounted) it bunches up and kinks behind my head. I can still equalize between the sides, but it takes a while, and I can hear the air moving from one side to the other.

Now to wing mounting. Is the wing supposed to be "sandwiched" between the tanks and the plate? Or should there be another washer/nut set that allows the plate/wing to be secured tightly, but without smashing it against the tank?

Heck, I'm not sure if even that would stop it from kinking all together. Could my wing have been assembled a bit wrong?

Comrade Stroke

The stack order is how you have it; tanks, wing, plate. I've never heard of using any extra spacers or washers etc.

You want the plate to clamp the wing against the plate.

Some wings are "noisy" when the air moves inside, nothing to worry about there.

Remember you will almost never have your wing fully inflated when actually diving.

Good luck,

Tobin

Something certainly doesn't sound right. Can you show us a picture?

I took pics of the wing mounted, both deflated, and partially inflated. I'll have them posted when I get home tomorrow.

comrade stroke

here is the wing when deflated.

Attachments

• flat wing.JPG
    flat wing.JPG
    183 KB · Views: 140
Here is the wing partially inflated.

Attachments

• kink wing.JPG
    kink wing.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 136
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/