Wing. OMS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Centrals, you actually agree with paintsnow (and most of us) that a bungie wing empties fastest,
paintsnow was using the lift bag as an example that a bag with a hole in the bottom still holds gas, that is to say a wing with a hole in the bottom would hold gas just as well as a liftbag.

Paintsnow, I gotta ask, is it "paint snow", "paints now" or "p ain't snow"? Or some other thing I can't figure out? For the record pee ain't snow, good thing it is color coded (in case you acutally grew up in AZ, do not eat yellow snow)

James, glad I could provide some humor, if I ever post something that dumb as fact, please correct me (it is not outside the relm of possibility I would be that confused). BTW you have the best signature line with that "you have the rest of your life" thing, I quote it alot.

I was a little late, but Centrals still didnt seem to get it. Or i was missing the sarcasim.

Its Paintsnow, not sure how i came up with it, but ive been using it for years now, would be too much of a hassle to change it.

Troutmaster, I have to ask, Did you think Las Vegas was in Arizona? If not, how did you know im currently in AZ? Just curious, it tripped me out a bit since my profile says vegas.

As far as yellow snow, im in Flagstaff, so i know all about snow, and have grown up with it even when i lived in Vegas and Cali.

So you put air into the lift bag. Just like you put air into a BCD/Wing.

The liftbag has a hole in the bottom, allowing you to fill it. Just like a torn Bladder/Wing

The liftbag holds air, without it being squeezed out by pressure even though it has a hole in the bottom, a large one at that. Just like a torn Bladder/wing.

Am i correct Centrals?
The bungee would not be able to squeeze all the air out from the bc under water or on land. I tried before.
I have read/heard plenty comments against the use of the bungy but yet to see any concrete evidence. I thought certain diving agency probably should have already produced one!!!!
Anyway, if I have a torn bc, I just inflate my redundancy.
As for the "H" brand, it is over rated and priced. There are alternatives.

The bungee would not be able to squeeze all the air out from the bc under water or on land. I tried before.
I have read/heard plenty comments against the use of the bungy but yet to see any concrete evidence. I thought certain diving agency probably should have already produced one!!!!
Anyway, if I have a torn bc, I just inflate my redundancy.
As for the "H" brand, it is over rated and priced. There are alternatives.

Sure it wont squeeze all of the air out of the bladder. Bungees dont magically turn wings into a vacuum.

If you wrap up a 100lb lift bag with bungee though, it will have a much lower capacity right?

Why do you need evidence, this is simple reasoning. If the bungee squeezes the majority of the air out of the bladder, it is basically useless, unless you only need 2 puffs of air, in which case why even bother with a wing? I know that if i loose any of the capacity of my doubles wing at the beginning of the dive, im screwed. at 55lbs of lift, it barely floats me, my LP108's and 2 stages. If i lost even 10 lbs due to the bungees, im not in a good situation.

If you've tried it on land, you know that the bungee squeezes quite a lot of the air out of the bladder, which is an issue, unless your diving a grossly over-sized wing. The proper size, is just enough to float you, not an extra 50 lbs. I see how if i only need 55 lbs of lift at the start of the dive when im heaviest, and im diving a 98 lbs OMS wing with bungee, and i put a gash in it, and the bungee squuezes out 40 ish lbs of air (almost half), its no big deal.

Troutmaster, I have to ask, Did you think Las Vegas was in Arizona? If not, how did you know im currently in AZ? Just curious, it tripped me out a bit since my profile says vegas.

My usual response would be "I work for the government, we know everything" but I honestly confused you with someone here who's profile shows AZ, pure luck my error was your current location. I promise I am not stalking you. Thanks for the clarification on your name, I just could not figure it out. Turns out there is nothing to figure out, so I feel better now. Same thing with "Troutmaster", picked it as an Ebay screen name (troutmasterb because regurlar old troutmaster was already taken) while drunk about 10 years ago and kept using it.

Centrals, can we all agree more gas will come out of a bungied wing than a non-bungied wing with everything else the same?

Also, are you no longer claiming that the ambient pressure will squeeze air out of a wing? Because you mentioned that bungee with not squeeze all the air out underwater, that contradicts the earlier statement saying ambient pressure will.

1. You first followed the instruction by OMS, inflated the bladder.
2. Tied the bungee....
3. The loop of each bungee is around 3" in diameter.
4. When the bladder collapsed to a certain volumn, the bungees would have no impact whatsoever.
5. Same as SMB with a big hole at the bottom, the bungees would not be able to EMPTY the bladder.
6. The quickest way to get out of the situation of a torn bladder is..... twin bladders.
7. The effect of the ambient pressure on a torn bladder? I have to think about it again!!!

1. You first followed the instruction by OMS, inflated the bladder.
2. Tied the bungee....
3. The loop of each bungee is around 3" in diameter.
4. When the bladder collapsed to a certain volumn, the bungees would have no impact whatsoever.
But we agree that the bungee's will squeeze a fair amount of gas out right?
5. Same as SMB with a big hole at the bottom, the bungees would not be able to EMPTY the bladder.
But would squeeze a fair amount of gas out.
6. The quickest way to get out of the situation of a torn bladder is..... twin bladders.
Now we're throwing more gear at a problem that could be minimized by not having bungees, besides with heavy steel doubles it's best to use a drysuit.
7. The effect of the ambient pressure on a torn bladder? I have to think about it again!!!
Let me know what you come up with. LOL

:shakehead:

Last edited:
Centrals,

Can we all agree on the following:

1) Bungies will squeeze at least some gas out of the wing and if you are diving a wing that is sized right then loosing some lift could be a problem.

2) Having redundant lift is important (what the redundant lift should be is a whole different argument)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom