Wing Size?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

elmo6s

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,
I'm looking into getting a Single Tank (SS) Rig w/ Hog Harness. I'm going to be diving it in a drysuit using AL80s (primarily) and possibly HP100s. I'm 5'10, 160lbs. Do I need a 20,30,or 40? I'm going with an LCD wing, just not sure what size. Let me know what you think.
- Alex

elmo6s:
Hi,
I'm looking into getting a Single Tank (SS) Rig w/ Hog Harness. I'm going to be diving it in a drysuit using AL80s (primarily) and possibly HP100s. I'm 5'10, 160lbs. Do I need a 20,30,or 40? I'm going with an LCD wing, just not sure what size. Let me know what you think.
- Alex

Alex,

Wing lift is more a function of the buoyancy of your exposure suit than anything else. Tank volume, and tank buoyancy play a part, but it starts with the buoyancy of your suit.

Do you currently use the DS you plan on using with this new gear? If so please describe your rig, i.e. current BC, tank, and how much total ballast you are using. If you use more than one tank, then provide the ballastused with each.

With this info I we can make a fair estimate of the buoyancy of your suit.

If you haven't yet used the DS you be asking me to guess. Guessing usually results in larger wing than absolutely necessary. That's not a huge problem if you only dive it in cold water. For example if you could have used a 30 and we pick a 35 instead, because we don't know the buoyancy of your suit you will likley never notice it in cold water. However if you use in warm water where maybe you only need a 20 then it will be much larger than necessary.

Let me know if you have the data, I'm happy to help.

Tobin

Tobin,
I'll get the buoyancy numbers for the NE. As for a Caribean setup - if I dive 4-6lbs with no wetsuit, and sometimes a 3mil with 10lbs - what should I do about a wing? I figure that the buoyancy of the BCD I'm wearing accoutns for a few lbs of buoyancy as well... So would the 20# be excessive? Is there anything smaller? I'm going to be diving single Al 80s down there... Let me know.
Thanks,
Alex

elmo6s:
Tobin,
I'll get the buoyancy numbers for the NE. As for a Caribean setup - if I dive 4-6lbs with no wetsuit, and sometimes a 3mil with 10lbs - what should I do about a wing? I figure that the buoyancy of the BCD I'm wearing accoutns for a few lbs of buoyancy as well... So would the 20# be excessive? Is there anything smaller? I'm going to be diving single Al 80s down there... Let me know.
Thanks,
Alex

Alex,

We make a 17 lbs wing. That's enough for your warmwater diving, assuming you are using buoyant tanks. (AL80's) A SS plate, Al80 and no other ballast is a common warm water set up.

If you can determine your cold water suit buoyancy, and tanks you plan to use we might find your cold water wing may not be too big to use in warm water also. If you need a 40 in cold water, then the 17 will be more fun in the warm water. If you can use a 26 for cold, then it's not going to be HUGE when you are diving in warm water.

Let me know if you have other question, or when you have more info.

Tobin

I'm probably going to be using a dry suit and steel hp100s and perhaps some A80s, though no doubles as of yet in cold water (maybe the end of this summer, but not sure). I don't think I can pull off anything close to a 26 (especially with the steel tanks), but let me know what you think.... I figure the drysuit by itself accounts for 20+lbs at the minimum, though I can figure out for sure once I buy it...

elmo6s:
I'm probably going to be using a dry suit and steel hp100s and perhaps some A80s, though no doubles as of yet in cold water (maybe the end of this summer, but not sure). I don't think I can pull off anything close to a 26 (especially with the steel tanks), but let me know what you think.... I figure the drysuit by itself accounts for 20+lbs at the minimum, though I can figure out for sure once I buy it...

Alex,

If you have th suit before you buy a BP&W you can provide exact numbers and we can figure a wing size. If you want to get a warm water set up first, and want the smallest possible wing that's easy, our 17 lbs wing fills the bill.

Let me know.

Tobin

Tobin,
Would I benefit (price wise) from buying both the wings at once, or can I buy the single tank package with the 17 and then buy a cold water wing later in the year (probabely May). I know I'm going to be down in Saba and the surrounding area for about a month this summer (teaching), so I'm definatly picking up the 17, just not sure about my bigger wing...
Alex

elmo6s:
Tobin,
Would I benefit (price wise) from buying both the wings at once, or can I buy the single tank package with the 17 and then buy a cold water wing later in the year (probabely May). I know I'm going to be down in Saba and the surrounding area for about a month this summer (teaching), so I'm definatly picking up the 17, just not sure about my bigger wing...
Alex

Alex,

No difference in cost, now or latter. We do offer substaintial discounts when you buy a complete rig. A complete rig will be a plate, harness, wing and cambands / wedge blocks.

You aak a good question however, maybe we should consider a "repeat customer" discount. We like repeat customers :D

Tobin

Tobin,
Can you do a single rig deal with a Torus wing? If so, you have me sold! I'll buy the Caribean sometime this week, and the cold water once it warms up around here :)
Alex

elmo6s:
Tobin,
Can you do a single rig deal with a Torus wing? If so, you have me sold! I'll buy the Caribean sometime this week, and the cold water once it warms up around here :)
Alex

Sure Alex,

The packages are basically any plate, any wing, any harness. If you select a Torus wing the package price is $20 more than it would be with a LCD.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom