wing sizes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikey3091

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I spoke with Tobin today and he was exceptionally helpful. Man that guy is knowledgeable. He steered me to a SS backplate and the 26# wing. The only thing that is holding me back from ordering is that I am considering the 30# wing. It's a little overkill, but I like the fact that the bladder is accessible. I'm really not sure that this makes a difference though.

I don't know anything about your diving, nor do you give us any info to work from. However, unlike some, I am not a fan of using the smallest possible bladder. I enjoy having a bit of extra lift, specially if wave action is reasonable. Any help?

Yes. Sorry. I copy and pasted that from my post in the BC forum after I found the DSS forum. I dive in Florida and only have about 20 logged dives. Usually I dive with a 3/2 or rash guard. In the winter I will occasionally rent a 6 mil. I'm 6'0 tall and weigh 167. Tobin ran the numbers and said a 26 would be great. I think he said at most I would need 19 lbs of lift. I usually wear about 10lbs diving an al80 and a jacket style bc.

I don't know anything about your diving, nor do you give us any info to work from. However, unlike some, I am not a fan of using the smallest possible bladder. I enjoy having a bit of extra lift, specially if wave action is reasonable. Any help?

If you are properly weighted, which will maybe -4 lbs at the start of a dive in a 3mm suit and an al 80, and you have a 26 lbs wing how much of that 26 lbs of lift are you using to stay eyelevel at the surface at the beginning of the dive? 4 lbs.

How much is remaining to get your chin out of the water? 26-4 = 22. Why would you need more?

Tobin

I just bought a setup from DSS and I got the 26# wing. I live and dive in Florida, lately just in my swim trunks. The 26# wing is more than enough lift. I do not use any weight on a belt, just the plate and steel tank is more than enough to get me down. In fact I'm overweighted when not using any neoprene, but the small wing is still enough lift. Listen to Tobin, he knows of what he speaks.

I just bought a wing from Tobin as well and dove it last weekend. In my mind I needed at least 30# and was looking was considering the Torus 35#, after all, the BC I was replacing had 37#. I gave Tobin my gear configuration and he suggested 26#. I was hesitant since I thought it wouldn't have enough lift but bought the 26# anyway. Tobin was right, plenty of lift, and man that thing is small.

edit: As for the bladder being accessible, at least in my case, if it gets a hole it's going back to Tobin so it's a useless feature for me. Also, 26# is enough for me in a 7mm, hood, and gloves.

My gf (yes petite) dives the 26# wing in cold water, with a dry suit, a steel cylinder, a can light, and even once with a slung AL40. Was no problem. Just determine how much lift YOU need (Tobin's great for this if you don't yet know how to do these calcs), and then go from there. It's a beautiful wing.

He did the calcs and reassured me of everything. I'll report back in a few days when I dive my new stuff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom