Winter Diving in KY

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LastMate

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
What kind of diving is there to do other than really cold diving there in KY during the winter months?

Blue Springs Dive Resort in Hopkinsville, KY, is a blast in the winter as there are few, if any divers such that one can essentially enjoy the quarry to themselves. Though the water is cooler (but was warmer than the air), the visibility was wonderful (> 50'). Here's a couple of topside pictures from January 2008 as we stopped for the day while passing through.

PennyRoyal112307a.jpg

PennyRoyal112307c.jpg

Last edited:
You think you could get away with a 7mm or would you need to go dry?

I just checked my logbook and it was actually February 18, 2008 when we were there. Temperatures were 40 F in-air, 45 F from surface and to 88' depth. We did two dives, one for 55 minutes and one for 40 minutes. We both dive dry but one could dive 7-mm wetsuits though perhaps not as long as we did.

I think i might have to plan a trip then to check it out. What there to see? and what max depth?

Somebody is going to come along and tell you that Blue Springs flooded and is crappy, I almost did. The quarry that is linked to is usually called Pennyroyal, not Blue Springs. Never been to Pennyroyal but would like to.

Another KY quarry is Falling Rock Park...aka Joe's. Not sure who else would being willing to dive during the winter but I would. Keep in mind I live in western Indiana. You might get Land Locked, who is now in BONAIRE, to dive. If not give JPSexton a PM.

Pennyroyal's hours are irregular during the winter, so be sure to call ahead to see whether they'll be open. If they have four people interested in diving on a particular day, they'll open.

Max depth is around 120', but that's probably in a very limited area. I would say 100' is the normal max depth. There's an area around 20'-25' deep with a bus, helicopter, cabin cruiser, and other items for training or playing around in.

Visibility at Pennyroyal is better than other quarries I've dived and there are restaurants and a Starbucks a couple minutes down the road.

Sounds like a plan. Ive been to joes a couple times. Great place to dive first time there we found the treasure chest!!! What is the viz like there at pennroyal? Im intreasted in the 120 ft area?

I was just at Pennyroyal this last weekend doing my Adv. Nitrox class. The vis in the shallows was fantastic! at about 40-50 ft, in the deep end it was very good good (40 ft+) until you reach the 90 ft mark or so & then it goes to about 6". The water temps. is starting to turn over & has everything stirred up at that point. It was miserable Sat. with it being rainy, cold & windy. Sun. was still cold but at least the sun was out making it look warmer. As for the deepest part of the quarry, it can be dove, but make sure you either have a DPV or plenty of gas, it's quite literally in about the hardest portion of he quarry to reach. The temperature from the surface was about 58 degrees with the bottom being the usual 45- 42 degrees. I told crpntr133 that I am planning on diving there the weekend of 29th- 30th. I can only make 1 day that weekend but it still should be fun. The winter hours for Pennyroyal is that you must call ahead & that there must be a minimum of 4 divers for them to open the quarry. The water table there is way down right now, so the deepest you may reach is only about 115 ft. I do know of a spot close to the shore where you can hit about 105 ft easily enough. The deepest I hit in the Adv. Nitrox class was 92 ft & probably could have gotten 95 ft, but that would have been pushing it.

I dive Pennyroyal pretty much year round, but it does slow down some in the colder weather. This winter I will be concentrating on my new cavern skills, as I want to go on to cave diving in Feb.

29th works for me. We might also have LandLocked, since he is back from Bonaire. I sent an email to termop but no reply as of yet. He was in Coz a few days ago so it might take a day or two.

Back
Top Bottom