Wireless/hoseless or hosed air integrated computer?

What kind(s) of air integrated computer do you use?

• Wireless/hoseless air integrated computer

Votes: 61 75.3%
  • Hosed air integrated computer

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • Both

Votes: 7 8.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Perdix AI with SPG in save-a-dive bag.
I actually took out that SPG once when I stupidly messed with my Perdix settings underwater and didn't have time between dives to deal with it. I just unscrewed the sender and replaced it with the SPG hose. Must have taken 15 seconds.

I have wireless AI but a traditional SPG is clipped to my left D-Ring and I consult it some time.

Transmitters on my Regs

All reg sets have a conventional SPG - I use them always to check tanks contents when setting up - not havign to get computer out, and for idot breaths (AI doesn't react fast enough)

Never seen the point on a computer on the hose - defeats the object in my opinion

The only people I've seen with a comp on a hose are Americans - must be something in the air y'all breath :)

Wireless, no spg for recreational diving

No, not really. Having a backup SPG on my left hip is like it isn't even there. The convenience and flexibility of my pressure and TTS on my wrist is honestly very, very nice. I never have to reach back, unhook SPG, bring it around, check it, and re-stow it. So no, having a backup doesn't defeat the purpose, at least not for me. Also, my Perdix AI has been rock solid. NEVER a connection issue ... ever.

With all of that said, since my Perdix AI has been so flawless I may someday drop the SPG for recreational dives. I watch my air frequently enough and know my SAC well enough that I feel I can confidently and safely end the dive with adequate reserves if I were to lose the connection for some reason.
I just meant isn't the whole point of having a wireless transmitter to delete a hose? As far as checking, I don't have to stow anything. I have my Cobalt on a retractor so I pull it up, check it, and let it go. I have been considering a Perdix AI with transmitter but I'm not quite there yet. I do like that you can pull up everything on a Bluetooth device. I'm not not really so trusting of radio waves underwater yet. Maybe someday, though.

I just meant isn't the whole point of having a wireless transmitter to delete a hose? As far as checking, I don't have to stow anything. I have my Cobalt on a retractor so I pull it up, check it, and let it go. I have been considering a Perdix AI with transmitter but I'm not quite there yet. I do like that you can pull up everything on a Bluetooth device. I'm not not really so trusting of radio waves underwater yet. Maybe someday, though.

I can't speak for others but for me no, the point of the transmitter was not to delete a hose. It was to get my pressure and up-to-the-second TTS calc on my wrist. Purely a convenience but I've grown to really like it. Now given how bulletproof the Perdix AI has been, I may in fact drop the SPG hose some day. That is just an added benefit but isn't why I went with the AI initially.

I just meant isn't the whole point of having a wireless transmitter to delete a hose?

No, I agree with @JimBlay above. Contents on my wrist is convenience.

Now as I wrote above, My SPG isn't there as a specific back up, it's still there for the convenience of not havign to get the computer out when setting up my kit and changing tanks, and because I use if for my "idiot breaths" just before I splash.

I'm not saying a hosed computer is bad in anyway - it just has always seemed to be a weird solution with none of the advantages of having a computer on your wrist (with or without AI) But I guess each to their own - they must be popular otherwise they wouldn't sell them

No, I agree with @JimBlay above. Contents on my wrist is convenience.

Now as I wrote above, My SPG isn't there as a specific back up, it's still there for the convenience of not havign to get the computer out when setting up my kit and changing tanks, and because I use if for my "idiot breaths" just before I splash.

I'm not saying a hosed computer is bad in anyway - it just has always seemed to be a weird solution with none of the advantages of having a computer on your wrist (with or without AI) But I guess each to their own - they must be popular otherwise they wouldn't sell them
I'm sure as I get more experience and get more into the technical side of diving, I'll convert. I'm definitely interested in the Perdix AI (and maybe even the N.E.R.D.); just not quite ready to give up my hose yet. I do typically keep my arms out in front of me so I could see it quite easily mounted on my wrist. We'll see in the future. First things first.....more dives.

Hosed means a console. Ugh. No freaking way.

Wireless computer on my wrist. Perdix.

AI with scubapro galileo. I used to keep an SPG as a backup but I don't do that anymore. I do keep an SPG and hose in my SAD bag.

I combine that with an air2 and I do single tank backmount dives with only 2 hoses. It's hard to convey just how much I like the reduction of clutter that this config provides.

Back
Top Bottom