Wireless/hoseless or hosed air integrated computer?

What kind(s) of air integrated computer do you use?

• Wireless/hoseless air integrated computer

Votes: 61 75.3%
  • Hosed air integrated computer

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • Both

Votes: 7 8.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

if run properly in backmount *i.e. clipped across to your right chest d-ring they aren't bad at all and I have no objection to them as a configuration
I dived with that configuration for 8 years, 2002-2010, it worked just fine

I can't speak for others but for me no, the point of the transmitter was not to delete a hose. It was to get my pressure and up-to-the-second TTS calc on my wrist. Purely a convenience but I've grown to really like it. Now given how bulletproof the Perdix AI has been, I may in fact drop the SPG hose some day. That is just an added benefit but isn't why I went with the AI initially.

How does AI help with a TTS calculation?

Also, with a reliable WAI setup, why keep the extra HP hose and all those O-rings (i.e. the SPG) attached to your first stage? That is a lot of extra places where you could develop a leak, for no apparent benefit.

if having the tank pressure during a dive was THAT important, tech divers would have redundant SPGs. Having something to tell you your tank pressure is important, but it's not THAT important. If your SPG were the only thing you had and it failed in some way during a dive, you'd just end the dive. I don't see a reason to treat WAI (that has proven itself reliable) any differently. At least WAI has no HP hose to rupture, no spool to blow out or leak, and several less other O-rings to blow out or leak.

An SPG for redundancy means a redundant pressure display and redundant places to have a failure that results in gas loss.

I'm all WAI all the time (except for deco or bailout bottles - those get a button gauge or real SPG, depending). 2 x Teric plus 1 x Perdix AI in case a Teric dies. That's for all my OC rec and tech diving. As soon as I am ready to perform a list of updates to my CCR, I'll be going WAI on that, too. Maybe this weekend...

I have enough transmitters now to have a backup on hand for any dive I do, plus I have a backup SPG in the bag, too. Never needed any of them yet.

I use an Oceanic ProPlus 3 hosed AI computer on a retractor clipped to my left chest D-Ring (no "danglies").

With a hosed AI computer, I only have one piece of gear to worry about, I don't have to worry about the transmitter, the receiver, or whether they have established or if they have lost contact with each other (ie. a failure that has nothing to do with the functionality of the computer itself).

The ProPlus 3 has the added advantage of nice big numbers that are easy for my 59 year old eyes to read.

pp3_main.jpe

Suunto vyper novo AI on wrist. Was torn between this simplier DC or the perdix AI. But being fairly new, I didnt want my DC to be like my cell phone and have too many options and functions I dont know how to use. I love having all info on my wrist. Helps when I log after a long 4 or 5 dive day

I use an Oceanic ProPlus 3 hosed AI computer on a retractor clipped to my left chest D-Ring (no "danglies").

With a hosed AI computer, I only have one piece of gear to worry about

You have a computer and a HP hose to worry about. I would call that 2 pieces of gear to worry about, whether you have a QD that lets you take them apart for storage or not. You maintain and replace them as 2 separate pieces of gear.

You have the HP hose and spool, with all the O-rings implied there to worry about. WAI has no hose, 1 battery, and only 2 O-rings (one in the 1st stage port and one in the battery compartment) to worry about.

Seems to me to be six of one half a dozen of the other.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom