Wireless/hoseless or hosed air integrated computer?

What kind(s) of air integrated computer do you use?

• Wireless/hoseless air integrated computer

Votes: 61 75.3%
  • Hosed air integrated computer

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • Both

Votes: 7 8.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So does a Perdix non-AI (and a Petrel and a Predator). AI has nothing to do with TTS. TTS is purely depth, ascent rate, and required stops. TTS will not tell you if you are going to run out of gas before you get to the surface.

My bad. I was using the wrong acronym. I should have said GTR ... gas time remaining. A completely different beast than TTS. With the Perdix AI you can see your NDL, TTS, GTR and pressure all on your wrist. That is the convenience I was referring to. I was just using the wrong acronym.

No. My AI transmitter attaches directly to the 1st stage on all my rigs. Haven't had a problem yet. But, for the brief time that I used an SPG, I did have a spool blow out an O-ring and start dumping gas. Fortunately, it was before I splashed AND I had an O-ring for the spool in my Box O'Spares. That was on an SPG (with hose) that I bought new and only had a few dives on it at that point.

That is always when my spool o-rings have all blown as well. It's always been on the boat before splashing. I've had it happen 3-4 times. You always want to have an adj wrench and either a replacement spool or spool o-rings in your save-a-dive-kit.

That is always when my spool o-rings have all blown as well. It's always been on the boat before splashing. I've had it happen 3-4 times. You always want to have an adj wrench and either a replacement spool or spool o-rings in your save-a-dive-kit.

Or just leave the thing that has failed 3 - 4 times off your reg set... :wink:

Or just leave the thing that has failed 3 - 4 times off your reg set... :wink:

Why do you think the spool O Ring fails? The transmitter has an o ring also. Realistically, a spool and gauge have two o rings, the transmitter one... or am I missing something other than hose failure......

Why do you think the spool O Ring fails? The transmitter has an o ring also. Realistically, a spool and gauge have two o rings, the transmitter one... or am I missing something other than hose failure......

perdix A.I. two hoses total.

cons to no spg....what if computer fails? you surface. What if your non A.I. normal computer fails? you still surface. Ill take the ease and comfort and less fail points of an A.I. perdix. You aint getting a gas leak out of your wrist perdix. Maybe the transmitter directly attached to reg but I feel thats less likely than a hose setup. And the perdix transmitter wont get brittle and worn out either. I never take it off the reg. ever. i carry it on in my backpack on flights for safe keeping.

cons to no octopus because I have an Atomic SS1 ..... um.... fear of catching cooties if someone has to use your main second stage while you go to your SS1 on your shoulder to breath. BONUS you ALWAYS have your backup air supply on shoulder and its going nowhere. blackout conditions and hoses all loose? no problemo. SS1 to the rescue.

Two hose only setup is optimal for purely rec diving. its lighter, less cumbersome, WAY more streamlined.

I do carry a backup normal wrist computer if perdix were to die and a backup peanut or small spg in save a dive kit so no matter what i never miss a dive. just go to backup computer and screw in the short tiny spg and attach to shoulder.

People ask where are all your hoses? I tell them too many failures so cut them all off. Lol. Eventually one day if I come into more money I will get an A.I. backup computer in case first one dies but its honestly overkill with shearwater. I get it many people run double perdix AI or perdix AI and a Teric AI. but you really reaaaaally dont need to. hey if you got the money awesome....i would too. But its not needed.

AI transmitter: 1 O-ring in the 1st stage HP port. 1 O-ring in the battery compartment. Only 1 of those would result in losing gas if it fails.

SPG: 1 O-ring in the 1st stage HP port. 2 O-rings on the spool. 1 HP hose. Any of those would lose gas on failure.

To be truly complete, one would also consider whether a Bourdon tube inside an SPG is more or less likely to break and lose gas than a pressure chamber and transducer inside an AI transmitter.

AI plus this gauge, mainly for the setup crew and tank change crew on the boat.

IMG_4053.jpeg

AI plus this gauge, mainly for the setup crew and tank change crew on the boat.

View attachment 499403

ive been debating to put that on my main reg. i have one on the pony tank. but really i just pop my reg on the tank with the A.I. and ask them to top off so not gonna bother

For single tank OC diving:

Used an Uwatec Air Z Nitrox for years but found the transmitter to be unreliable, so dived with an SPG. Used a bottom timer and tables as redundant equipment.

Used an Oceanic Pro Plus console and wore an Air Z as a back up.

Sold one Air Z, the other died. Replaced it with a Shearwater Petrel.

Pro Plus died just as Shearwater was introducing the Perdix AI.

Purchased the Perdix and dived with it and an SPG for a few weeks. Petrel worn as back up. Transmitter proved reliable so relegated the SPG to my save a dive bag where it has resided ever since.

Purchased a Shearwater Teric last June, and have been using it as back up in non-AI mode for all OC and CC diving since then with no important issues. (Shearwater Cloud has been temperamental. Sometimes it will not allow me to download dives from both the Teric and Perdix. Shearwater Desktop has also become temperamental ). Gave the Petrel to my son.

Back
Top Bottom