Wisdom vs Wisdom 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kuma1720

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Could anyone tell me the basic differences between these two computers. I currently own the Wisdom, which I 've had for the last three years with no issues. I just wondered what must have prompted a newer model?
Has the Algorithm changed?

The differences between the Wisdom and Wisdom2 are not significant. The analogy I would use to explain the differences would be like when a car design comes out with a new body style. Is it different? Sure. Is there a difference in performance, not really. We did not change the algorithm. We just enhanced the best parts of the Wisdom.

If your question is whether or not you should upgrade, ask yourself this: When the new body style of your car comes out, would you go out and buy the new one?

Hope this helps.

When you say we enhanced the best parts are you referring to the body of the computer?
So computer wise I won't be outdated in a year or so as to compatibility with future windows versions?
Thank you and I do appreciate the feedback.

So, what type of things did get enhanced? Does the information get displayed differently? Are there added functions?

The changes were concentrated on cosemetics and the case itself. The information is not displayed any differently. And there are not any added functions.

Sherwood Scuba

I am a new diver and after 15 dives I'm ready to purchase my own dive equipment. I am heading to Kauai in February and asked the dive shop about the Wisdom 2. There response was "I am personally not in favor of air pressure gauge and computer integration, such as the Wisdom, or any other manufacturer. My feeling is that if and when a computer goes down (and yes, it will eventually), then you lose the valuable information of your air supply too." Is this a valid argument?
Norm

Like anything else, yes there is a slight chance your computer may fail and you will lose your air pressure reading. If that occurs it is no big deal, immediately begin a regular safe ascent. You may have to cut one dive short but it is not an emergency situation. It would be wise to have a backup SPG in your bag that you can pop on in the event of a computer problem. Maybe even a backup inexpensive wrist computer.
At least a backup SPG and your dive tables will salvage the rest of your trip.

You should be monotoring your SPG often enough duiring the dive and be familiar enough with yout gas consumption rate at a givne depth to be abel to anticipate the SPG reading when you look at it each time. It is often the discrepency between what you read and what you expect that alerts you to a problem either with the SPG or with something else occurring during the dive.

If you do not think about and anticipate the SPG reading then if you dive long enough you are eventually going to have a nasty susprise during a dive.

For example, I once had an Uwatec quick disconnect come undone just enough to trap the gas in the HP hose. This was immediately noticed at 100' on the next spg check as the SPG reading had not changed as much as expected and another check a minute later confirmed the reading was not changing. Since I had been monitoring the SPG frequently and could extrapolate from the last valid reading (the one prior to the less than expected reading), I knew I still had enough gas to do a normal ascent, safey stop etc. Had I just been checking the readings without thinking about them and anticipating the expected number, I could have blissfully continued noting the still 3/4 full tank reading and ran the tank dry while congratualating myself on my excellent SAC rate.

Specifically with the Wisdom, I experienced a failure in the dive computer, but the SPG continued to provide pressure information. A second Wisdom failure resulted in the SPG reading 245 psi when not connected to anything after the dive. Neither situation left me with a lack of tank pressure information or wildly inaccurate tank pressure information.

The most serious SPG failure I have had was a failure with an Aqualung Digital SPG (an attempt to get the predictive qualtities of air integration with the advantage of separate deco and spg functions) that completely shut off at depth when the battery cold soaked in the 35 degree water. Again, I was monitoring enough to know what to expect so I basically still knew what I had with reasonabel accuracy and knew I could safey do a normal ascent.

So in effect, based on my experience, an air integreated computer is potentially less relaible than a standard mechanical SPG (I have never had one fail in 23 years of diving) due to the greater reliability of the much simpler and non battery dependent design traits. But on the other hand, if you do your part, an SPG failure is not a crisis but rather a minor event that is readily handled by a routine abort of the dive.

For a recreational diver who spends most of his or her time at shallwo depths where the dive is gas limited rather than deco limited, and where a direct ascent is always possible, an air integrated computer may make sense as the air time remaining function may be useful - especially for the occassional or less experienced diver doing multilevel dives (having that function is a good way for you to rapidly get up to speed on the connection betwene psi and time remaining at various depths.)

On the other hand I have found that air integration offers no real advantage for a diver who is monoitoring and interpreting the SPG properly as you basically do the same predictive air time remaining computatons in your head once you acquire a little experience.

If your goals include techncial diving, an air integrated computer is not the way to go and a conventional SPG with bottom timer or 2 or 3 gas computer is a better choice.

My personal impressiona dn expereince with the Wisdom is that the later Wisdoms were much more reliable than the early ones and I am assuming, even though it is not being said, that the improvements in the Wisdom 2 also include changes to increase reliability and reduce potential for failure.

I am a new diver and after 15 dives I'm ready to purchase my own dive equipment. I am heading to Kauai in February and asked the dive shop about the Wisdom 2. There response was "I am personally not in favor of air pressure gauge and computer integration, such as the Wisdom, or any other manufacturer. My feeling is that if and when a computer goes down (and yes, it will eventually), then you lose the valuable information of your air supply too." Is this a valid argument?
Norm

Norm,

In the 8 years I have been diving with an air intergrated computer, it has only gone down 1 time in the water, and 1 time on the boat. Both were due to a dead battery. I do hundreds of recreational dives a year without a problem. I recommend the Wisdom 2 computer highly. It is easy to read, easy to use and even easier to download your dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom