• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

With fins vs without fins

Discussion in 'Snorkeling / Freediving' started by engblom, Jul 27, 2018.

1. Seaweed Doc

Seaweed Doc Marine Scientist

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Interesting that you mention the frog kick. I got a new pair of fins for travel that are really light. They float. They make it a lot tougher to do a deep kick on the surface, so I was doing a lot of frog-kicking when I was snorkeling on Maui in August ....

2. Trace Malinowski

Trace Malinowski Cave Instructor

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
  3. viktoria23

viktoria23 Garibaldi

Definitely with fins! I remember when I was a beginner I went snorkeling with cheap very soft fins and suddenly the current became strong and I needed to fight against it to make it back to shore (even with the fins!) Since then I bought good fins that are powerful and effective and never had any trouble even in strong current. So based on my own experience, I always tell everyone to get proper fins for your own safety!

4. BRT

BRT Giant Squid

Fins that bend down where the blade connects to the toes work better on the surface because you can keep the blade underwater and still facing back.