With fins vs without fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I could not agree more with this post...

I sometimes use the "slow, deep kick" that Seaweed Doc described, but mostly I use a slow modified frog kick. (Modified because my legs are not bent 90 at the knee as they would be underwater).

But anyways, I find that, with fins, both kicks allow me to leisurely cruise around with very little effort, saving energy for my next dive. Also, with only 2 strong kicks I can zoom right up to my girlfriend to see what she's pointing at or get her attention for some other reason.

Give it a try before changing your gear, then make the call. Good luck!

Interesting that you mention the frog kick. I got a new pair of fins for travel that are really light. They float. They make it a lot tougher to do a deep kick on the surface, so I was doing a lot of frog-kicking when I was snorkeling on Maui in August ....

When you go snorkeling/freediving, do you prefer to use fins, or do you prefer to go without fins. I am a bit torn on this case. Without a doubt, I am faster with fins and I reach at least the same far as without fins. Still I often go without fins because I am consuming less fast the oxygen without which leads to longer times under the water. Also, I find fins a bit irritating when following the surface with the snorkel.

Definitely with fins! I remember when I was a beginner I went snorkeling with cheap very soft fins and suddenly the current became strong and I needed to fight against it to make it back to shore (even with the fins!) Since then I bought good fins that are powerful and effective and never had any trouble even in strong current. So based on my own experience, I always tell everyone to get proper fins for your own safety!

I do not know if it is a technique issue or something wrong with my fins, but I find them very annoying when swimming at the surface. I am not able to keep them under water. As soon as I begin to kick, the feet moves up to the surface. It means I am using more energy than if I swim without fins.

EDIT: I am having Cressi Rondinella fins

View attachment 471340
Fins that bend down where the blade connects to the toes work better on the surface because you can keep the blade underwater and still facing back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom