With Scuba or not with Scuba?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The real question is whether people who see a portable hookah system will think "this is potentially deadly if I'm not trained" or think "hey, this is super cool snorkeling." From what I've seen, virtually anyone without training will think that it's "snorkeling+."

Perhaps. However, given the cost compared to a snorkel, mask and fins they will quickly find out that it's not just snorkeling plus. No one is just going to causually buy one of these because it's "cool".

what happens when someone gets hurt and liability lawsuits start trickling in and it was you who provided the compressed air? I'm pretty sure that your exposure to liability would be similar to a shop filling a tank for an unlicensed diver.

Actually, I seriously doubt it. I can buy a hooka from many sources (e.g. gatorgill) without providing any evidence of certification. I'm sure their lawers have provided them with the proper disclaimers. I also can buy all sorts of dangerous and lethal things from second parties. Moreover, it's easy enough to get a diver friend to get my tanks filled for me. I am certed up through solo - but I wouldn't have to be to get air.

There is a label inside my Mares 3mm wetsuit that states

"This suit may be used only by divers trained by a certified diving instructor"

I suggest the manufactures of the Air Buddy contact the lawyers Mares use for further advice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom