Woefully inadequate HP80'S

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do not dive doubles. I dive with 5 operations in Boynton Beach, West Palm, and Jupiter. All 5 are double and rebreather friendly :). On one of the boats in Boynton Beach, a friend dives baby doubles and brings two sets, no problem

Weekly Pensacola / Destin diver, HP100's are pretty much the everyday go-to for the locals. Nice margin over 80CF tanks without a large size penalty and familiar to most shops in terms of filling them to rated pressure. Some of the DM's will dive HP120's as they have to do tie-in and un-tie drops in addition to the main dives. I can usually max out my NDL time on HP100's at depths over 70' on an appropriate Nitrox mix.

LP tanks have their place (I use double-LP85's for light deco work to 150'). Don't expect more than a + rated fill at most of the coastal dive shops unless you're friends with the owner.

If you have the chance to dive Pensacola more often, your SAC rate should settle down with a bit more local experience. The northern gulf is an eye-opener to a lot of divers on their 1st trip - deeper dives, variable visibility, surface and bottom current - but it gets a lot easier with some practice.
.Thanks for takin the time to reply! It's really good to hear from a true local. This was my second trip to Pensacola and it's true what you said that diving this beautiful part of the Gulf is a serious eye-opener. It changed my entire world!! Thanks

Just got back from an amazing dive trip to "Wreck Country" USA Pensacola, FL. The wreck diving, as is most diving in Northern FL, was incredible. However, the performance of my personally owned HP80 singles was not. The reasons for purchasing an HP80 firstly, I was convinced these tanks have the same volume or capacity of gas as an AL80. Second, I could have the excellent buoyancy characteristics of the steel tanks at a lower price and drop some lead. Don't get me wrong, the HP80'S are great for training and practice inland in a spring, but for the gas demands and slightly more "stressful" conditions of the deeper wrecks in the Gulf my little HP80'S were woefully inadequate. I've been looking around for LP95 or 108's because I've heard more dive shops prefer filling these and the obvious increase in gas volume. Are there any "old salts" out there that can offer an opinion on the most advantageous single cylinder size and type to use for "real Florida wreck diving" ? All opinions are welcome and appreciated....

I'm looking for a set of hp 80's. Had back surgery two years ago. I'll trade you two lp 95's, they're really 117's when filled to 3000. They have new convertible valves, but they're too heavy for me.

I'm looking for a set of hp 80's. Had back surgery two years ago. I'll trade you two lp 95's, they're really 117's when filled to 3000. They have new convertible valves, but they're too heavy for me.
I might be very interested in your proposition sir...
What kind of shape are your lp95's in? Hydro/vip? O2 ready?
I'm looking for cylinders that are in pretty good condition.
Is the + plus rating still good? My HP80'S are in close to new condition. Mostly used in fresh water . Only 8 dives so far in the ocean, but planning many more dives in Pensacola area very soon....
Definitely need more gas.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom