Woman dead - Duck Island, New Hampshire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
I think this happened in New Hampshire. Wikipedia lists over a dozen Duck Islands in the U.S. alone and the article isn't clear, but the hospital mentioned is in New Hampshire.

Woman rescued with CPR at Duck Island
RYE – The quick thinking by many people likely saved the life of an unidentified diver in distress Sunday morning, according to local authorities.

Lt. Kevin Wunderly of Rye Fire and Rescue reports the department was called at 9:36 a.m. Sunday to meet at the U.S. Coast Guard Station to assist with an unknown medical event near Duck Island.

“We responded and the Coast Guard members brought us out to the area, where we found an approximately 40-year-old woman who had been diving,” said Wunderly. “She had suffered some type of medical event. Because of the quick action of bystanders, who got her out of the water, and an off-duty North Hampton paramedic who was also out on the water, this went pretty smoothly. We had a lot of resources and people out there, and the assistance of the Coast Guard and our fire and rescue.”

Wunderly said CPR had already been started when they arrived. He said Rye rescue and the Coast Guard were able to bring the woman back to shore while using advance medical care on the boat, to the Coast Guard station and she was transported to Portsmouth Regional Hospital from there.

“I do not know what the emergency was but by the time we got the hospital, her condition had improved,” said Wunderly. “Hospital staff will determine what happened. I do think she was pretty lucky that there were so many people available to help her.”

This Duck Island is part of the Isles of Shoals, and that is where the incident took place (according to the NE Scuba Divers FB group). According to the same post, she has passed away.

Scuba diver dies from injury off Isle of Shoals
KITTERY, Maine — A scuba diver rescued Sunday near the Isle of Shoals has died, a spokesperson for Portsmouth Regional Hospital said Monday.

The Maine Marine Patrol reported Sunday the woman was injured during a scuba diving accident with an unnamed recreational charter company.

Marine Patrol on Monday night announced the deceased diver was identified as Tanya Cianchette, 45 of Saco, Maine. No information about the nature of the fatal accident was released.

I was just coming out of Portsmouth harbor on my boat when I heard the VHF request for medical assistance from the dive boat. Tragic; and this is the second death this summer in our area (another diver passed off Nubble Light a month or so ago). :(

I am childhood friends with this beautiful woman's step-mother. This has understandably devastated the family. As a novice diver myself, I am concerned about the "injuries" - have been unable to find anything online, they are "investigating". Do you know for certain that it was carbon monoxide? I do not want to ask the family this question, especially at this time. She left behind two young sons.

As far as I can see there is no indication that it was carbon monoxide at all. Or any other stated cause so far. Though as a local diver I too desperately want to know what went wrong.

You may have been looking at DandyDon's signature, which he has on all of his posts to raise awareness of CO risks.

Oh, thank you for that clarification and pointing that out. That is exactly what I did. I will continue to wait. Thanks so much.

Back
Top Bottom