Woman lost - Gili Lawa, Indonesia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Singaporean diver missing in Gili Lawa; search operation to continue on Friday at 6am
SINGAPORE - A Singaporean diver has been reported missing after failing to return from a dive in the waters around Gili Lawa near the Komodo Island in Indonesia. A search operation has so far failed to find her, but is set to continue Friday (July 14) morning.

Ms Rinta Paul Mukkam, believed to be a 40-year-old associate regional sales manager, had gone diving at around 11.40am on Thursday (July 14). It is understood that she was on a boat with about 15 other divers but did not surface with the rest after a dive.

Her brother Roy Paul Mukkam, a 36-year-old lawyer, posted on Facebook on Thursday evening asking for help and information. He told The Straits Times that his sister was an experienced diver and had gone on a number of diving trips before.

He said that she had left on Wednesday (July 13) and was due to return to Singapore on Monday (July17). He was informed at about 8pm that his sister was missing. "I was told the search had been called off due to a lack of light and will resume tomorrow," he said.

He added that it was unclear what happened to her "buddy". Divers typically dive in groups of two or three as a safety precaution.

The dive operator of the trip was Seamore Papua and the vessel she was aboard was the KLM Seamore Papua.

The head of rescue agency Badan SAR Kupang, Mr Gede Ardana, told Indonesian media that his agency received a missing persons report on Thursday at 2.30pm. His agency then sent a team of six rescuers to the location by motorboat.

When the team reached the site, it coordinated with the crew of Seamore Papua to conduct a search operation, which was suspended at 6.25pm. He said the search will continue at 6am on Friday.

There are some dive sites around Komodo that has strong currents. I wonder if she got separated or came to some downcurrents. It's sad to hear about this one especially; I dove Komodo in September thanks to the strong urge and pushing from the fine folks here and I am so glad I did. It's still so vivid in my mind.

Last edited:
I would say that the majority of the dive sites where she went missing can have strong currents.. and (depending on what site she was diving) with potential/probable down currents. This is why you never go past or ahead of the dive guide. It will be interesting to hear what the buddy says about the dive.

Sounds like there are a few dive boats out helping with the search..... hopefully this ends well.
I remember a group of maybe 6 getting lost around there several years ago. We discussed them for days here, and I had given up on them being found alive - wondering where bodies might wash up, then they were all found on Komodo island fighting off dragons. Now I never leave the house without my PLB, much less get on a boat or make a dive without it - but I hear this area is frequented with low budget backpackers who don't bother with CO testers or owning gear.

One dive site that has fast current in Gili Lawa is called "Shotgun" a.k.a. "The Golden Passage" or "The Cauldron". It's normally pretty shallow, a strait between 2 Gili Lawa islands (Gili Lawa Laut & Gili Lawa Darat). You do it during tide changes. So, there is no down current, just a horizontal fast current in a "chute".

Last edited:
One dive site that has fast current in Gili Lawa is called "Shotgun" a.k.a. "The Golden Passage" or "The Cauldron". It's normally pretty shallow, a strait between 2 Gili Lawa islands (Gili Lawa Laut & Gili Lawa Darat). You do it during tide changes. So, there is no down current, just a horizontal fast current in a "chute".

I remember diving that site. Once the current took me, I said "hory sheet" through my reg and immediately thought it lived up to its name! What a ride indeed. I also remember a tough kick across the current to stop from continuing on riding the current.

The current can really rip at the shotgun.
Last time I dove it if you were hooked in and looked sideways your mask and regulator would vibrate like crazy and would have come off if not well fitting.
After about a minute I gave my guide the unhook sign and we got the hell out of there. We did see a dugong right after!
Not to long ago another woman died there.
Loozing your mask or regulator could lead to panic and fatal descisions. I had a close call at 28M on a ripping drift, when I choked on my vomit and could hardly breath. My first thought was do not panic, it was only by remaing calm that I made a small incident out of a possible fatal accident.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom