Woman sues five-star holiday resort for £50,000

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While I dislike googling medical information, and as a person with no medical training at all, I sometimes do, I found this at Transient ischaemic attack — Stroke Foundation - Australia

Signs
A TIA should never be ignored. The risk of stroke is highest in the first few hours and days after a TIA. You should call 000 immediately even if the signs go away and you feel better.

The FAST test is an easy way to remember the most common signs of stroke and TIA.

The signs are the same as for a stroke, but they completely disappear within a short time. Often, they are only often present for a few minutes.

The signs can be different for different people, depending on which part of the brain is affected.

There can be other signs, such as:

• Numbness, clumsiness, weakness or paralysis of the face, arm or leg on one or both sides.
  • Dizziness (in particular ‘head spins’), loss of balance or an unexplained fall.
  • Loss of vision in one or both eyes.
  • Headache, usually severe and sudden.
  • Difficulty swallowing.
  • Nausea or vomiting.
I can similarities between the signs and symptoms of TIA/stroke and DCS, I wonder if a stroke was ever tested for, similar long term outcomes.
Of course this is all speculation

If you administer oxygen and a problem that occurred after diving rapidly improves that is a big clue.

How would one know if it is the administration of oxygen or just time on the surface that improved her condition?

That is not the right conclusion to draw. Correlation does not imply causation.

How would one know if it is the administration of oxygen or just time on the surface that improved her condition?

That is not the right conclusion to draw. Correlation does not imply causation.
Because of the "rapidly" part. You off gas a lot faster on 100% O2.

Couple of years ago, student does OW dives 1 and 2, depth 12m, dive time ~30min, surface interval 60 minutes. Within a few hours after these dives, she developed a rash in the chest/neck area, marbled skin visible. Although that depth and time should not cause DCI issues, she was nevertheless treated in a hyperbaric chamber and the signs disappeared.

Later she was diagnosed with a PFO. So yes you can develop DCI even on short shallow dives.

Couple of years ago, student does OW dives 1 and 2, depth 12m, dive time ~30min, surface interval 60 minutes. Within a few hours after these dives, she developed a rash in the chest/neck area, marbled skin visible. Although that depth and time should not cause DCI issues, she was nevertheless treated in a hyperbaric chamber and the signs disappeared.

Later she was diagnosed with a PFO. So yes you can develop DCI even on short shallow dives.
DCI or DCS?

The rash described could be subcutaneous emphysema, a lung overexpansion injury.

DCI or DCS?

The rash described could be subcutaneous emphysema, a lung overexpansion injury.
True, I deliberately wrote DCI. Diagnosing DCS or AGE is not up to me, both require the same first aid treatment as you already pointed out. I wasn't present during the dive, I saw her when she came back from the boat and called DAN when the signs presented. Ruling out DCI (like the resort staff did according to Amy's claims) because of the shallow depth would have been out of my bounds.

From the article, comment from the resort: 'Our side of the story is very different from Amy's description of events but due to the ongoing case we cannot comment at this time.'

Of course there's always two sides (at least) to every story, but it will be interesting to see how the resort's side of the story squares with what appear to be indisputable facts:

1. The resort people took the victim diving.

2. The victim suffered some manner of headache and "blindness" after a dive; the victim was given assistance getting back on the boat and was administered oxygen.

3. The victim did not seek medical attention at this point.

4. A couple days later the resort people took the victim diving again.

5. The victim is now permanently injured.

Regardless of what details the resort will fill in with their side of the story, it's hard to imagine how they can justify their actions. Although it's also hard to imagine how the victim will prevail in the lawsuit against a defendant in Indonesia.

sad news but no true diving details in article...correct me if I'm wrong but that doesn't look like a hyperbaric / re-compression chamber in the photo...??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom