Women and everything being heavy in scuba diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The gear is clearly designed for men, which is one of the reasons I’ve gotten into tweaking gear, especially the BC. For years I’ve said that if women ruled the world a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood would be 3 x 5. Many tools are not designed for women’s hands. Scuba tanks are ridiculously heavy. Even the neoprene is a battle to deal with. As a woman diver I have found it really pays to think outside the box, question everything, and don’t be afraid to DIY.

So enjoying this thread. Luck was on my side recently - going up an awkward boat ladder with the boat kicking up and down. Somehow managed to hang on and emerge gracefully into the boat. Others had been less lucky and had to slump head first onto the floor. Made out I had skill when it was just luck with the kick of the boat. And then I managed to do it again on another dive. Ladies - it is never luck - it is always strength, athleticism and skill on your part!
I have a confession - I had to buy a wetsuit in an emergency and the only one available had pink embroidered seams with pictures of flowers scattered on it. At first it was like being naked, I tried to cover its bits up with my hands and crouched in a corner. Didn't last long - wore it with pride and made out all the divers (male and female) wanted one like it. But I am still embarrassed by the main picture which was of a "well endowed" hibiscus flower. What deluded male designer came up with that?

I am really annoyed by wetsuit sizing, designed for Barbie dolls, a male fantasy instead of a real woman. They all seem to be designed for tall skinny women with tiny skinny tube arms, and a child’s waist size for the breast/hip size.

I just cut my 7 mil to pieces because I was tired of how restrictive the arms were. They squeezed so hard it hurt, and it was almost impossible to get on. Yet the wetsuit had a huge space on my back that sucked in water when my arms were raised. Ladies, always raise your arms and get in scuba position trying on a wetsuit. Most appear to be designed for standing with arms down, on dry land, with no idea of a swimming position.

It’s not like I have big arms either, but I swim, I have shoulders, I’m not a tiny Anorexic fashion model who would be too weak to lift a scuba tank!

My 3 mil is actually a surfers wetsuit... designed for paddling.

Lucky you @Cali_diver ! Really they should be custom... there are just too many body types and weird ways they can not fit. It’s like a frickin catsuit after all!

Lucky you @Cali_diver ! Really they should be custom... there are just too many body types and weird ways they can not fit. It’s like a frickin catsuit after all!

I know we're a bit off topic here, but you are SO on the money with this issue. I have an 8/7 that caused me such anxiety just thinking about putting it on - I had to curl up my hands (which are small anyway) to get them through the teensy hole of the tube arm. That wetsuit is worthless and it cost me a bundle. Grrrrr. And now we can return to the actual purpose of the thread ... something about things being heavy and women?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom