Women and everything being heavy in scuba diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I seem to cope pretty well with a twinset (twin 12s/hp100s) and two stages, which come in around 75kgs when full. I can just about walk across the boat with it on and plop into the water. I can move around a bit more easily with just one stage. I weigh somewhere around 58kgs and am 5'2" so.....

Good for you. Here is my dive guide, leaving Chuc Mool. She's smaller than you.

IMG_1810.JPG

Being interviewed by @The Chairman

I think it's as much mental as it is physical. My wife, the eternal cynic (just like me), was certain she would not be able to handle double steel tanks when we were first considering trying them. Sure enough, she does great with them, climbing the boat ladder, stairs, etc., and she recently remarked how normal it feels now that she is accustomed to them. She says an aluminum 80 now feels like a feather.

My kind of diving is to minimize carrying anything. When you dive 4 dives/day for 10 straight days, racking up 40 dives by the end of 12-day liveaboard trip, trust me, every little bit of effort to not carrying the tank by yourself to the skiff helps.

The last liveaboard trip to Raja Ampat, the crew brought my gears to the skiff. All I need to do was to walk into the skiff with my wetsuit on. Then donned the BCD & fins in the skiff, while it's heading to the dive site. When we were there & ready to dive, the DM would check for the current & if it's good for the dive, we all sat on the side of the skiff, 2' above the water. He'd then counted 1, 2, 3 & go. We then all did the back roll (falling backward from sitting position into the water, 2' below us) together.

After the dive, we floated back together to the skiff, removed our weights, gave the weights to the crew, removed our BCD, gave it to the crew, removed the fins, gave them to the crew, then swam to the back of the skiff, climbed up the 2-rung ladder to get back on the skiff & headed back to the liveaboard for surface interval. That's the kind of diving I like to do.

Last edited:
SurfaceBriefing.jpg

This will give a better view of Natalie's size. I am under 6-0.

I had a couple of hesitations during our open water cert dives and wondered how the hell I choose a sport that was so gear intensive, but the pay off is worth it. I was 54 when I got certified.

I'm just a bit under 5' tall and that makes carrying AL80's difficult because I have to actually lift them while walking, not just hold them. On my shoulder is easier and wearing them was much easier-despite the bottom of the tank hitting my legs with each step :D. Then I found that moving to steel tanks was even easier. I like boat diving as there is usually only 1 long haul to the boat, shore diving is exhausting, I have poor endurance-I'm definitely a slow twitch gal, but I take pride in being able to schlep all my stuff. I may be a few minutes behind, and I may take a break but I will get there. I do now hand over my weights while getting up the ladder, I CAN do it, but it sure is easier to hand them up. I would rather work smart than hard. That being said, I'm fine with anyone male or female helping me with my gear. Not because of my gender but more my (lack) of stature and my age. Mad respect to all those 70, 80 and 90yo divers, male or female.

Dive safe and smart my friends!! I might just get that wagon!

@Marie13 if I increase my shore dives I will get a cart, but honestly I can't see that happening, I love boat dives. Expensive though. Maybe when I retire I might do more shore diving...I"ve got to take a second look at my retirement plan :eek:,

I use a roller bag now so yes it's 2 trips but easy.

I think most of the answers to your question will be that women view scuba as an activity that involves weights and heavy tanks.

My mom is 68 and shore dives regularly in So Cal water with a 7mm wetsuit, hood, gloves and 26 pounds of lead. Usually postdive I'll pull one of her weight pouches to slightly lessen the burden for the long march back up the stairs. But she gets it done.

^ I love this... I dive with my sons and they are always helpful too!! I love that I get to share this wonderful and amazing hobby with them. It is so worth hefting the weight. Never underestimate the strength of a woman!!

There have been moments with a drysuit, 22 lbs of lead and my heavy camera rig where I have said, "F@#$ this sh*%..." but once I get under the water I just feel so thankful for being able to see that world. No pain no gain!

Back
Top Bottom