Women's vs. Men's BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pthoma79

Registered
Reaction score
My wife and I are looking at purchasing our own equipment, and we found a great deal online for a package, but it comes with a men's BCD. We have found that a women's BC is significantly more than a men's one. My question is would it work well for her to use a men's, or should we spend more and get her a women's. Also, is the main difference just the fit? Does it make that much of a difference?

-Phil

It all depends on the BC - I have generally found that there is no real difference between men's and women's BCs. If you get the correct size, it should be just fine. My opinion is that if you can find the BC locally and have her try it on - then you will know for sure - this is sometimes frowned upon - 'using' the local shop like that - but you never know - you may find a good deal from the local shop if you let them know about the deal online as well.....

Which ones are you looking at? Most of the ones we sell, the womens are less expensive...but then again there are alot of different choices out there :wink: It might help if we know what your looking at and comparing.....?

In a BC, Fit is everything. They all fit differently and especially with women. Im not a woman, but those we have sold to prefer the womens cuts

What size does your wife wear? Do you wear?

one of the big differences is how the BC fits. They are made for the curves of a womans body to make the fit more comfy. That being said I know a lot of women who dive in men's gear and have no complaints. I think it is more of a personal decision of what is most comfortable and works best for you.
After lots of research and advice from friends I bought a SP Bella and totally love it. It has lots of extra features to help with issues women have and it makes a huge difference. I was getting nasty bruising on my shoulders but the Bella has special cushioning in the shoulders that prevents that. I could go on and on why I love this suit, but in the end it is what works best for your wife. Try going to your LDS and trying some on to see how they fit:)

I've used both types and I think whether or not a "ladies" style is more comfortable depends more upon the individual model of bcd than anything else. I've used generic bcds that were awesome and some that were not so comfortable...and ladies style of bcds and some were great, some were not. So it would be helpful to know the brand/models you are considering?

I also agree that the fit really varies. My wife currrently uses a small Seaquest Balance, which was a great deal when we were looking for BCD's. The BC does fit well, but she had to try on several before she found one that fit. My mom used a small Oceanic BCD for years that just did not fit her. There are a lot of women specific BCD's available today and they are designed for a woman's build.

I would suggest that you try on several different styles and brands to see which one each of you like the best. The comfort of the BCD can make a big difference in diving.

Good luck.

No, sorry! I have used a SeaQuest Diva (for ladies, in case the name didn't give it away) and LOVED it. Also tried a SeaQuest Libra (also for ladies) and HATED it. I currently use a Cressi LadyJac and like it for its performance and streamlined qualities but am thinking about switching to a Cressi AquaRide Lady which seems to be very similar to the Diva I used to have. Looks to be very comfortable. And it's pink! But before anyone chastises me, that would NOT be the reason I got it.

I have also dove with "unisex" type bcds...here are my thoughts. Loved diving w/the SeaQuest Wave bcd (entry level, simple, easy, non weight-integrated) but really loved diving w/Cressi's AquaPro 5R bcd which is a simple, weight-integrated bcd that is super comfortable. Not a fan of Scubapro but that is obviously personal preference as there will be plenty of people on SB who swear by it. So, no experience w/Dacor but plenty of experience with Aqualung/SeaQuest products and definitely with Cressi products. Good luck and happy bcd hunting!

From the most part the straps that go over the shoulders on womans BC's are moved more rearward to better fit their female parts. Better womans bc's they can be moved more foreward or rearward.

The BC we are looking at in the package is a Dacor Talon. Anybody have any experience with Dacor?

Our(my wife & I) 1st BC's were Dacors---both bought in August of '85 the day we completed our OW certifications....Mine lasted 19 years(900+) dives---hers lasted 20 years(500+) dives...The ONLY difference was the color, mine blue with grey trim-her's blue with yellow trim---both even had the old CO2 cartridges loaded inside.........We had never heard of a woman's BC back then, but maybe it was just us & the local 1 horse dive shop's fault.......Always remeber, the man that makes soap wants to sell soap.......btw, my wife loved her BC, wish she could buy another just like it but------......She's now gone to a back inflate & I'm still looking for that same old BC for her---just for sentimental reasons I guess.........

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom