Wondering about lake diving hazards...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

good list.
I would add thermoclines (don't know about Texas though) which can produce quite startling temp changes if your not ready for them.

I totally agree with DaleC on the thermoclines. They can be startling and shocking to the body when you are not expecting them. I hit one 2 weeks ago that literally took my breath away. Basically expect the unexpected, and always be aware of your environment.

I actually have encountered the thermoclines before when snorkeling in the Bahamas. In fact, I swam through some cold currents that were very surprising. I may be minimizing the thermocline, but this is one I'm actually not too worried about.

Your in fort worth so your not too awefuly far from great diving in your area. If your looking for a proven safe haven for divers Clear springs scuba and athens scuba park are great dives for beginners and expert divers combined. Since they are dedicated parks there is no fishing of any kind allowed in their either.

Now for the marine life its always possible to encounter some little critters from time to time but not often enough to abort the dive all together just because there may be some snakes or what not. Ive encountered water mocassins (However you spell that) on the surface once and just sit perfectly still as they went on by. I would not recommend diving in known snake hang outs though. Ive swam with some perch that seem to think they are bigger and badder then what they are too lol and felt the occasional pecks :D. But all in all just dive where the majority of divers dive and you should be fine.

Also keep in mind when discussing fishing attempt to to when possible dive very close to your dive flag as this sometimes (Not always) deters fishing in that area. On one dive I witnessed what appeared to be a fish fighting underwater till I realized he was on a hook and a fisherman was reeling him in LOL.

Lake diving is in my opinion though one of the best diving you can do as it acclimates you to being used to low visibility and only helps to improve your performance when you go on a clear water ocean dive. and last but not least my rule I live by. You can hear boats miles away it seems underwater. (Not sure exactly how far for real) but I never surface when I hear a boat motor anywhere near by reguardless how far away it actually is. Hope you enjoy the dives and I hope this helps!

Lake diving is in my opinion though one of the best diving you can do as it acclimates you to being used to low visibility and only helps to improve your performance when you go on a clear water ocean dive.

Great point

Ask around before you dive some place.

Windy Point at Lake Travis has a pecan forest down below if you get way deeper than a new diver should be.

Stillhouse Hollow and any other heavy boat traffic place should be treated as if there were an overhead. Allot of jet skiers out at a party or something do not heed dive flag warnings. What I mean is that a shore entry should end with a shore exit, and you should avoid going to the surface out in the open water when possible. (For example, to re-find land when you should have been keeping track with a compass.)

Stick around the Swamp Divers forum and come dive when you can and you start to pick up this kind of thing. I am new too, and by no means an expert, but this forum and diving with people here has taught me allot.

I would also add vertigo, and not handling it properly as a hazard. It is (or was for me at least) very easy to loose a reference point and start 'spinning' in all the muck. Focusing on my SPG always helped, gave me something to focus on, and assured me that I had plenty of air and nothing to worry about. Lots of good reading on the forum if you search for it.

Back
Top Bottom