Wondering where your stuff from overseas is? Shipaggedon!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You will learn to recycle parts from junk yards. In Libya we have some of the largest junk yards in Africa. Hardly anyone buys new parts, most people go to the junk yards for parts. Junk yards actually import junked cars from many Western countries and bring them in for parts. You get to be creative when you are in need and don't have many options.
That worked pretty easily in the days of largely analog cars (I remember tagging along with my frugal dad to source some parts that way as the junkyards were cool for a kid to see) - but it's much harder with all of the electronics that are required to make a modern car work; some are coded to the car itself and can't easily be swapped with a salvage part.

Maybe our country will start manufacturing more consumer goods as it begins to make economic sense. (And manufacturing them to be repairable.) It amazes me how cheap fridges are nowadays, and when they break, you often just buy a new one rather than repair it. It took a lot bigger chunk of my parents' income to buy fridges, TVs, clothing, and all the other consumer goods we take for granted as being "affordable" (and throwaway) by virtue of being produced in low-wage, low-regulation countries.

It would be a good thing, a lot of the jobs we lost were these lower-middle class manufacturing jobs. So today there is little jobs beyond minimum wage for the people that didn't go to college or votech.

The goods might end up being a bit more expensive but you are keeping money circulating in the US rather than sending it overseas where only a fraction of it ever returns to the US.

It would be a good thing, a lot of the jobs we lost were these lower-middle class manufacturing jobs. So today there is little jobs beyond minimum wage for the people that didn't go to college or votech.

The goods might end up being a bit more expensive but you are keeping money circulating in the US rather than sending it overseas where only a fraction of it ever returns to the US.
The problem is that many folks don't really want to pay a "fair" price for goods and services - they want everything, they want it now and they want it cheap! I've seen that thought process on full display in many posts here on SB. Unfortunately, that mentality has contributed to this rush to the bottom on cost (and longevity/quality) and the outsourcing of the good-paying manufacturing jobs that historically supported a large middle class here in the US.

The problem is that many folks don't really want to pay a "fair" price for goods and services - they want everything, they want it now and they want it cheap! I've seen that thought process on full display in many posts here on SB. Unfortunately, that mentality has contributed to this rush to the bottom on cost (and longevity/quality) and the outsourcing of the good-paying manufacturing jobs that historically supported a large middle class here in the US.

Look at all the people who want to order a $45 wing from the Commies.

Hmmm...a regulator set for $4,000 - $10,000. Let's see how that will fly amongst the folks here. :coffee:

Hmmm...a regulator set for $4,000 - $10,000. Let's see how that will fly amongst the folks here. :coffee:

Regulators are already made in Western Countries. You can buy an Atomic that is made in California, a Scubapro that is made in Italy. Even the Japanese made ones you are supporting a country that at least pays a decent wage to their citizens, and doesn't treat them like slave labor.

I have four Worthington HP100s I will part with. Only $6,000 each or all four for $20,000.

Seriously? As already stated, Atomic Aquatics regulators are made in California and a Z2 can be had for under $500. The limited edition, over-the-top T25 is not even $4K. Products made here will end up being more expensive, but they don't need to outrageously priced as you want to suggest!

Look at all the people who want to order a $45 wing from the Commies.

It's one reason mine are Halcyon. I saw the locals employed at the factory sewing those wings. Lots of other Halcyon gear is made there, too. Ask for a tour when you're down there.

Guess you’re the Cuba of Africa.

We still did it down under 20 years ago. It helps to live in a hot dry climate where nobody salts the roads and bodies don't rust.

However I doubt you can junk-yard-fix a tesla. Just like most previously-fixable items now contain "no serviceable parts inside".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom