wondering.........?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sandmanz32

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Im fairly new to diving and still learning all the lingo. so.....what is a "stroke" i've heard people being referred to as "strokes" and was just wondering what it meant? a crappy diver? or something?

Some people, who have inordinately elevated concepts of their superior knowledge and diving skills, will, from time to time, refer to another, whom they fell are significantly inferior in the two afore mentioned categories, as a "stroke".

It's also name calling, which is against the TOS of ScubaBoard.

I do hope you'll never take this attitude.

We are all newbies at one time or another.

the K

nah i was just curious. i do poke fun and call others names....but its all in good fun i never really mean any of it.....but who doesnt rip on their friends from time to time. as far as scuba goes.....i know im a total NOOB but i learn very quickly and have already found myself lending advice to even fresher divers. i dont think id ever poke fun of anyone with lesser experience who needed advice...however someone of lesser skill who thinks they know more than me (arogance has no place in diving) then goofs up....yea they'd get all the ribbing! lol

Ah, now there lies the exception! Among friends, and in jest, it's quite acceptable to refer to a good dive buddy as a "stroke". Of course it ALWAYS helps if you place a "smiley" in some sort of juxtaposition so that others, especially mean ole ogre advisors (such as me) and mods, don't misinterpret the spar!

It's all good !!

the stro-K-e

yea what brought it about was i went diving at jocassee this sat and i heard 2 guys talking about they were just swimming around and they grabbed onto what they had thought to be a guide line when in fact it was another diver's spool line that he was running. so i sign on to scubaboard that night to add to any dive reports that might have been posted and appartently the diver that was running the line posted in his blog about 2 "strokes" tugging at his line...o well i was just curious what it meant....learn something new everyday!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom