Wonky Quantum?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stoo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I use a couple of Quantum computers. On the weekend, one of them started to give bizarre readings, with the display flashing readings that were sometimes correct, and sometimes not. When I got to my 20' (mandatory) stop, and switched to my second gas, it settled down and returned to the proper settings. I wear two of these, and it was "bang-on" with the other one.

I intend to change the battery and reset the thing (I'll do both) today, but both batteries were replaced six months ago and have only 52 dives on them since. (Most were about an hour or more, and about 25% required mandatory deco.) There was no "low battery" indicator.

Am I safe in my thinking that the battery is the likely culprit, or is it possible that this is a sign of things to come? These computers have worked well for a couple of years, but I had previously had dismal experience with the Dive-Rite Duo, which I assume is the same computer (although mine would have been an earlier generation I expect. I burned through 5 of those in two years.

Your thoughts appreciated!

Thanks!

Hi Stoo,
I checked with my British colleagues at Apeks in the UK since we are not familiar with that computer here in states. They are fairly confident that it is a low battery. Go ahead and change it and let's see where that leaves you.

I've had 2 Quantums.

The first suffered a failed depth sensor. I contacted Apeks UK and they replaced it with no hesitation. I used the replacedment for about a year before I noticed the same 'wonky' behaviour that you mention. Very occasionally, on random dives, it would go a little crazy on ascent - with the depth fluctuating and various warnings triggering. Finally, on an 18m dive, it just locked out with a jumbled screen display. I changed the battery, but the lock out/jumbled screen persisted. I haven't had the chance to return it yet, as I left it in the UK when I returned to Asia.

Whilst Apeks are an exemplary company, with great customer service, I was less than impressed with the reliability of the Quantum.

DevonDiver, your experience is the same as I had with my Duos, and I think that this was common in the earlier generations of these computers. I've been very pleased with these Quantums, especially in the fact that the read exactly the same... depth, time etc. I dive solo most of the time and wear them both, so it's nice that they agree with one another!

Regarding this particular situation, I swapped out both batteries last week, and this seems to have resolved the problem. I tried to get them to "wig out" by triggering the ascent rate alarm by flapping my arms around (good thing I was alone, as I'm sure my "Funky Chicken" might have raised concern in my buddy...)

Tom, thank you for your prompt reply. I wasn't aware that you 'Mericans didn't carry the same Apeks products as does the distributor up here in the Colonies... ;-)

(As an aside, I switched to DS4s and XTX50s a couple of years ago... Awesome regulators! I can't freeze them no matter how hard I try...)

All the best,

Stoo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom