Wooden boats or steel boats which one is more economical in building?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

realcs

Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
hi..a couple of my friends have been dreaming of building there own live aboard:blinking:
now the complication beguins one loves wooden boats and the other steel boats which one is more economical to build from scrach? and in the longrun maintainance wise economical?:eyebrow:

My guess is that if economics is a factor, building a boat is going to be a problem. Having explored the possibility of building my own, discussing the plan with other guys that have built their own, and against all common sense, I decided to build one anyway. I’m developing plans now for a small 25’ cuddy cruiser. Diesel powered with an aluminum hull and wooded cabin and decks. We shall see if it ever get off my drafting table.

Good luck, it is a rewarding and frustrating experience. So I’m told.

Wood rots and steel rusts, aluminum is the way to go.

It depends on what you are talking about.

From a material only point of view, wood is much cheeper than steel.

If you are not doing to building yourself and you are including labor and equipment cost with the material cost, steel wins hands down because it can be cut, shaped and welded together much faster than laying up a wood hull.

Aluminum is a good choice from a corrosion point of view, but it is more expensive than steel for materials and you have to have a welder that know what they are doing. It's a lot harder to weld than steel. An aluminum boat will also be a lot lighter than either steel or wood and eaiser to transport if you need to.

Also the size of the vessel will dictate what material you would want to use. Wood is good for small boats that either fit a trailer or medium boats that will stay in the water. Aluminum is good for small to medium vessels due to material cost. Steel is realy only fit for larger vessels. I don't thaink that I would build a wood boat for any thing as large as a live aboard. Maybe either steel or aluminum and just deck it and maybe build the superstructure out of wood.

Also, you don't paint aluminum hulls above the water line or they will corrode. Steel and wood must be painted. Use an epoxy type coating that is non-porous so the critters have a harder time sticking to the hull.

Steel hulls are great, but even cutting the smallest of chines is tricky. Europeans use a lot of steel making boats. Costwise, steel is pretty cheap if you know how to get it, and nothing is cheaper than an arc welder for laying bead down fast and tacking that baby together.
Flame-spraying steel with zinc keeps off the rust too. And, there is NO whale in the ocean that is ever going to sink you. Building one is noisy and messy plus you need a good hoist to move the plate around.

Bottom line, if cost is even a small consideration, you'd be way ahead to buy a good used boat that's fiberglass. Build cost for steel will be the least for a small one off liveaboard but on the cheap it'll be ugly. Wood cost would be more but at least you'd end up with something that looked decent. What it boils down to is you're WAY ahead buying a decent used boat with a respectable name. Selling a one off boat down the road will be difficult and expensive to say the least unless it is from a respected yard, which would make building it VERY expensive. Aluminum is out of the question for a home builder unless you can do all the welding yourself(cost is the factor there).

On a side note, for those of you who said to mix materials, the only acceptable mix is steel hull with aluminum superstructure to save weight. It'd be foolish to build a hull out of a long lasting durable material and then put a "cheap" superstructure on it that will end up rotting out and killing any future resale value. I'm a marine surveyor and I'd be more than happy to discuss this further if you'd like.

A freind of mine is building a steel hulled live aboard boat about 40' in lenght along more or less trawler lines. The goal is a very seaworthy boat for Alaskan waters. It has so far been a multiyear project that will still consume 6 figures before it is finished.

I strongly disagree regarding a steel hull and aluminum superstructure. The dissimilar metals will cause no end of problems over the life of the boat.

A better approach is a composite superstructure of wood encapsulated in fiberglass and epoxy resin. With that approach you get great strenght and comparatively low weight. Dry rot is not an issue if it is properly built with careful attention to detail, such as sealing all holes in the wood with epoxy (as in all screw holes, etc.) When properly built, you could roll the boat over or run it completely under green water over the bow and not lose the superstructure.

I'd also argue that wood is not a bad choice for a larger live aboard type vessel from a strenght perspective as wood tends to remain flexible and will survive conditions that may crack or separate the plates on a steel hull. There are after all still wooden WWII era mine sweepers still in use in excellent condition. The downside of a wooden boat is the labor involved in construction and the need to either fully encapsulate the wood in fiberglass and resin or endure no end of on-going maintenance and the penalty for slacking off on maintenance can be very rapid deterioration. On the other hand, steel hulls also last for decades, but over time oxidation can thin the hull plates to half their original thickness making them uneconomical to refit. High quality sacrificial anodes replaced frequently are important on a steel hull.

Selling a one off boat creates some unique issues as the engineering and equipment is going to be scrutinized to a much greater degree. But that can be minimized if you build your own boat by building to a well known and known to be very seaworthy design.

I have considered building my own sailboat boat in the 36-40' range from time to time and have considered both steel and wood. Either steel or wood properly designed and constructed will last decades. Steel is potentially faster to frame, but requires more equipment as the pieces are larger, the steel needs sandblasting before priming and painting, and the hull lines suffer if you are limited to flat plate steel in construction. Wood boats go together with smaller and lighter peices and can more be easily built to much cleaner lines but require more fabrication and extensive use of fiberglass and resin. So there are pros and cons each way.

In either case the arguments for building your own boat come down to reducing your investment through sweat equity while simultaneously peading the outlay of cash over a period of years while you build the boat. Construction of wood boats in particular appeal to those who enjoy building wood boats and/or who enjoy the beauty of a wood boat.

Buying a used boat in need of a serious refit at a comensurately low price is a great option as an extensive rebuild is still much cheaper and easier than building your own. That said, dry rot in a balsa cored fiberglass boat can get extremely expensive and time consuming to repair. So if you go that route CAREFULLY inspect the fiberglass and core, particularly around any holes that have ever been put into the glass. Any softness will mean potentially expansive removal and replacement of the core material. Foam core fiberglass boats are more forgiving in that regard, but are also not as strong for a given thickness of material. Spider cracks in the glass can also be very time consuming to repair.

Ask the mega yacht builders about steel and aluminum. Done correctly, it makes some of the best pleasure boats out there. It's no different than the way wood/epoxy(coldmolding) is described, correctly done, it yields a great finished product. Wood is still considered by some to be one of the best building materials out there. It's strength to weight is superior to just about everything out there. What it boils down to is that in my 20 years in the marine industry, I've only seen a couple of truely home built boats that have any resale and are done correctly for long term service. Under those conditions, if you even consider your time is worth a dollar an hour, it's still cheaper to buy a used production boat.

Now, having said all this, please don't think I am against building your own boat. I just feel that it is very important to know before you start that it's not less expensive than buying one. If it's a hobby and the dollar at the end of the day isn't that important, you'll have a one of a kind boat that you can have HUGE amounts of pride in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom