WooHoo! Getting There!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Congratulations! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Here's a little fun thing to do IN THE POOL with the free flowing regulator. Take it out of your mouth and see how far away from your lips you can get it and still breathe off of it. If you purse your lips like you are drinking through a straw you can "sip" air from the bubble stream coming from the mouthpiece from several inches away. You have to take long slow breaths but it's kinda cool.

Ber :bunny:

A little fun thing???

Ok, I'm prepared to believe you though I don't think I'm quite ready for it yet.

Thanks for all the encouraging posts.

I'm just so impatient now. It will be five weeks before I can do the next bit with the OW dives. God, what if I forget it all?? Na, sure I won't. Maybe a quick practice in the pool first would be an idea just to refresh and be confident. Is this the sort of thing that happens?

Hey Congrats Brizz -

Going through the same here, in the middle of confined and OW in March, feel your excitment, Sundays another day in the pool for us.

we were thinking the same thing about after cert and our next dive what to do. I believe we are going to spend a few weekends in the pool just to practice a little before our 1st boat dive. Just sit at the bottom and blow some bubbles.

Again Congrats and keep having fun.

waterdogs

just take it easy now and focus, and of course try to relax for your open waters.:wink:

I can understand your reluctance if you've only breathed off of a free-flowing regulator with it IN your mouth. I'm guessing that's what you did but can't be sure. I had never heard of trying it with the regulator out of my mouth until I helped one of our new instructors with his class. He did that as a fun thing for them and naturally I had to try it too! What I found out is it's a lot easier to breathe from a free-flowing regulator when you hold it an inch or so away from your mouth. If you "sip" the air like you were drinkig from a straw the water doesn't try to shoot down your throat. The bubbles form a sort of air pocket around your mouth and when you inhale it feels like your breathing extremely moist air almost like mist.

Keep us posted on your progress!
Ber :bunny:

My wife and I, son and daughter-in law, and wife's brother all completed our O/W certifications two weeks ago.

All of this resulted from taking an Intro to SCUBA excursion during a December cruise and absolutely loving it.

The good news......we're certified. The bad news......last night I totaled the expenditures to date outfitting my wife and I and it was shocking.

More good news.......we're diving this weekend.

I'm also quite happy to find this Board for rookies/newbies like me.

Originally posted by jpdunc

The good news......we're certified. The bad news......last night I totaled the expenditures to date outfitting my wife and I and it was shocking.

Hi jpdunc !! and welcome to the boards!!

I could have warned you if I had known, I have a whole file of reciepts from My wife's and my own equipment. I have never totaled it up, and I have asked her not to. There is still a lot of things I want. It's easier if you don't know how much you've already spent!!:wink:

Congrats Brizz!!!

Believe me, everyone here knows exactly how you feel. In varying stages, we have all travelled down the same road.

This is a sport which turns 39 year olds like myself into starry eyed little kids. The effect it has seems to be universal regardless of age, sex, religion, race, etc.

The "human" connection to water, and desire to be in it is rooted deep within our ancestral genes.
Did you know that the salt content of the human body and the salt content of the ocean are exactly the same? Not to mention the fact that we all spend our first nine months scuba diving......er sort of!!

Good luck with your OW dives and all your dives in the future.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom