Wool Socks Under Boots?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrVegas

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I found a few older threads on this question, and much heated debated over weather wool insulates underwater when wet (including responses from Pinnacle about their Merino linings). Anyway, this seems to be a little unsettled. I was thinking about trying wool socks under wetsuit boots to add warmth. Obviously, this is a cheap experiment, and I guess there's only one way to find out; however, I was wondering what the results were for people that actually tried this. Do wet wool socks inside wetsuit boots keep your feet warmer?

Why not try neoprene socks?

I don’t think I’ve tried wool socks but I have tried a wool shirt under a wet suit, not warmer in my opinion.

I've worn them under my boots during the coldest months and thought they made a difference.

I found a few older threads on this question, and much heated debated over weather wool insulates underwater when wet (including responses from Pinnacle about their Merino linings). Anyway, this seems to be a little unsettled. I was thinking about trying wool socks under wetsuit boots to add warmth. Obviously, this is a cheap experiment, and I guess there's only one way to find out; however, I was wondering what the results were for people that actually tried this. Do wet wool socks inside wetsuit boots keep your feet warmer?

I always wear wool socks under my boots when diving wet and have noticed a big difference in warmth.

Why not try neoprene socks?

Or thicker neoprene boots if available. Even assuming it's true that wet wool insulates better than most wet synthetic materials, I have to believe wet wool insulates nowhere near as well as foamed neoprene.

I was sceptic about using neoprene socks, but they work great for dry and wet diving!

I wear these instead of boots (cause my instep is too high for my fins)
https://www.amazon.com/Dexshell-Hyt...r1&keywords=dexshell+waterproof+hunting+socks

They keep my feet toasty. They aren't waterproof as dive socks. I lent them to my son who was having cold feet issues and he loved them. They have a plastic or like material layer which I poke holes in so that the water which gets in through the top can flow out. Otherwise I look like I have horribly swollen feet. I've worn them underboss too.

I usually pair them with lycra socks to help them go on and off easily.

I wear a thin silk wicking sock, REI SmartWool expedition socks, and a 5mm neoprene sock over that for cold water diving. Works great into high 30's

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom