Workbench Update!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tbone1004

Mr Speed Nuts
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Greenville, South Carolina, United States
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Well, they're finally done! almost....
I've been in the middle of moving and I've been waiting to get these done for almost three months except for the Kraken which is only a week old. First time dealing with the 109's, so had some interesting moments.

Kraken was set up with @herman and when I got it home, found out the IP wasn't exactly where I wanted it. Took it apart and get the IP tuned to 125psi to play nice with my Poseidon's. Huge thanks to @OWIC647 @Luis H and @herman for this beautiful piece of kit. Kraken is staying naked until it's new case comes in on Wednesday. Saw that a lot of people use flight helmet cases for their double hoses so grabbed one of these
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NBQ9USS/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I1WFTMLYK5MB9Q&colid=1F0GOGJ0MWXFR

The Dacor is my dads regulator and has been used on my O2 bottle for a while but needed a lot of TLC. I got some new exhaust diaphragms from @DA Aquamaster and it's exhaling a lot better. The seat has a bit of a ridge in it but not sure if those are available... Will be digging around to see if I can't get a replacement seat for it, i.e. harassing Larry and Herman. Lots of sentimental value in that regulator so want to get it all the way back. It breathes pretty well though.

The 109's were given to me by John at NESS and @herman and are almost completely back together. Missing the exhaust t's which I haven't had the motivation to heat up to get on, and haven't figure out which mouthpieces I want to go with yet. As of now, they are tuned to 125psi to play nice with the rest of my regulators and I'm quite excited to get these on deco bottles and a loaner singles reg set. I also was recently given another 109 and a 108 on a MK5 that will be getting some TLC here shortly as well after I place another order with VDH.

I went all out with these and replaced everything. New poppets, springs, exhaust covers, diaphragms, diaphragm covers, and mouthpieces. Not the cheapest way to do it, but glad I shouldn't have to worry about them ever again. Wish i could get them rechromed and may figure it out at some point, but they definitely have character!

Some fun thoughts and observations.
Inline adjustment tools are amazing. I haven't been able to/had to use one for many years diving Poseidons, and the one from VDH is great, especially for the price.

When tuning multiple second stages, having an inline shutoff would have probably been useful... Having to do all of the tuning on the floor and shutting the reg off was rather annoying. Not a big deal, but will be acquiring one to keep with the inline adjuster once these things take a set and need to be retuned.

Don't be a moron and put the front of the reg on before you put the exhale diaphragm in.

109's apparently have different screw pitches. Two of them took the replacement screws that came in the kits, two of them did not. Quite strange indeed.

The NOS diaphragms are a bit big and won't seat properly until the diaphragm covers are on.

Ball peen hammers work quite well for reshaping the outer metal covers where they were dented. A little tap tap tappy and they're straight and flat again

All in all a very productive day. Now off to getting my regulators reconfigured for the summer after dealing with open water training and a bunch of regs getting moved around

19780650_10158914901365134_4684826030816814716_o.jpg

Thanks for this; great suggestion!
Congrats on all the refurbs....

thanks. I'd hold off a couple days on ordering that case until I can get it to the house and make sure everything fits, but it looks promising

thanks. I'd hold off a couple days on ordering that case until I can get it to the house and make sure everything fits, but it looks promising
Oops; too late. i jumped....sure hope YOURS fits!

109's apparently have different screw pitches. Two of them took the replacement screws that came in the kits, two of them did not. Quite strange indeed.

The NOS diaphragms are a bit big and won't seat properly until the diaphragm covers are on.

View attachment 416642

Scubapro used metric screws for a little while. I am fairly sure those regulators were made in Italy. I don't know which years.

I have seen screws with slotted and Phillips screw driver heads (both with Fillister type head shape, but a bit smaller), and also socket head (Allen key), all used on the 109 and 108 cover clamps. The most common I think is the slotted screw with #4 - 40 UNC threads.

I would think the metric version is an M3, but I am not as familiar with typical metric screws.

As I mentioned, the heads are similar to the Fillister shape, but a bit smaller in diameter. Bryan at VDH is having them custom made to reproduce the original screws.

I used to buy the Fillister head screws from McMaster-Carr and turn down the head diameter by chucking the screw with a couple of nuts on to a drill and using a file. It was crude, but it worked OK.

Yeah, some of the diaphragms are just a tad bigger, but they work fine.

well, the helmet bag came in today. Only thing in there is the double hose, no octo/spg/lpi. A bit big methinks, but that means the hoses are able to stay relatively loose which is good. I will be removing them from the reg itself for storage so they can take a natural loop but wanted to get the picture in there. Bag is pretty snazzy for $25, no complaints

19702404_10158928177770134_9203584246196879000_n.jpg

The most common I think is the slotted screw with #4 - 40 UNC threads. I would think the metric version is an M3, but I am not as familiar with typical metric screws.

A quick pass with a #4-40 tap and those silly metric threads become normal.

Inline shutoff is in the 'to get when I remember to place an order' list ... never occurred to me to put one on the inline adjuster ... I generally go over all my regs around the same time in the down season.

_R

A quick pass with a #4-40 tap and those silly metric threads become normal.
Ooooh..., threaded heresy,... or to boldly go where...?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom