working out after diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
As anyone can guess, I am new to diving.
I am also an avid runner.
My question is,
How long should I wait after diving to run a road race
of 13.1 miles?
Can I dive two dives at 30 feet on Monday evening and then
race early Tuesday morning?

You should be waiting 12 hours
But if aggressive dive profiles you better wait 24 hours
Some told me i could run after 6 hours...but i didnt...

Exercise after diving increases the incidence of DCS from 22% to 46%. Exercise at depth is detrimental, increasing nitrogen uptake. (Requiring three times the decompression). Immersion in cold water with exercise causes increased incidence of DCS.

Have a look there if you didn't already
http://www.scuba-doc.com/exerdcs.html

Fred

One of my customers (girl aged 17) did a nothing special dive very early Sunday morning, about 25metres, 35 minutes. That night she did 20 minutes on her exercise bike. 2.00am she woke with excruciating pain in both knees. After 2 sessions in the chamber her "fizzed" knees felt better. A month out of the water and she's fine, but she doesn't use her exercise bike after diving anymore.

On some dive tables, 25m for 35 min is over the no-deco time. Not mentioned was how the ascent was managed. Now, granted exercise increases the chance of DCS, which does seem to have happened in this case, but for the original questioner who mentioned 10m (30ft), for presumably much less than the no-deco time, what's the guideline for exercise? I also want to know, because this is this kind of diving I'm going to be doing for two weeks (I think 1-2 dives a day, in the pm), and I don't want to lose my cardiovascular conditioning by stopping running (I usually do 30 min, so 3-4 miles).

-Simon

I also like to run and work out.
When I go diving, I don't have the energy for running.
So if I would go for a week of intensive diving, I would
prepare myself before and stop any sport during my dive session.

And if I really want to dive and sport then no sport 2 to 4 hours before diving to avoid micronuclei to form.
And certainly no sport 6 hours ( at least ) after a dive.
Why? always because of those micronuclei...
Fred

Hi diverunner,

Being an exercise buff & diver myself, I've done a little reading on this matter. To the best of my knowledge, some of the info you've been given thus far is incomplete & misleading.

The following thread contains a post by our own Dr. Deco. IMHO, it provides excellent first pass coverage of the issue.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?threadid=1554

Hope this gets you started.

DocVikingo

Dear readers:

I think that this question illustrates that recreational divers (at least in this FORUM) are understanding
  • (a) The concept of micronuclei and their formation by exercise and
    (b) The fact that decompression is not complete when you reach the surface.
This is very good !

When we come to the point of quantifying exercise and diving, the amount of data on this is meager. In a large measure, this is because such concepts as micronuclei are just beginning to have a practical impact. Not long ago, “nuclei” was just a word and “nucleation control” did not exist even as a theoretical concept. Now even recreational scuba divers (beggin’ the readers pardon) are discussing this.

Some responders have cited the ASK DR DECO response of a few weeks ago. This Run-Dive interval was estimated based on a NASA study on nuclei lifetimes following exercise (deep knee flexes). It showed that most nuclei were gone after a two-hour waiting period and that most would be gone after five hours.

The Dive-Run interval was based on the sixty-minute compartment for repetitive diving under most recreational diver scenarios. (This is the basis of the PADI Dive Tables and performed well in tests.) According to this, one should be undersaturated to a large degree after five hours.

Currently, this appears to be the best advice that I can offer, and it is probably on the conservative side. I am pleased to see that our readers are thinking along this line of reasoning.:rolleyes:

Remember that strenuous exercise during the surface interval between repetitive dives is not good since it can lead to micronuclei formation. :nono:

Dr Deco

Originally posted by Dr Deco
Dear readers:

I think that this question illustrates that recreational divers (at least in this FORUM) are understanding
  • (a) The concept of micronuclei and their formation by exercise and
    (b) The fact that decompression is not complete when you reach the surface.
This is very good !

When we come to the point of quantifying exercise and diving, the amount of data on this is meager. In a large measure, this is because such concepts as micronuclei are just beginning to have a practical impact. Not long ago, “nuclei” was just a word and “nucleation control” did not exist even as a theoretical concept. Now even recreational scuba divers (beggin’ the readers pardon) are discussing this.

Some responders have cited the ASK DR DECO response of a few weeks ago. This Run-Dive interval was estimated based on a NASA study on nuclei lifetimes following exercise (deep knee flexes). It showed that most nuclei were gone after a two-hour waiting period and that most would be gone after five hours.

The Dive-Run interval was based on the sixty-minute compartment for repetitive diving under most recreational diver scenarios. (This is the basis of the PADI Dive Tables and performed well in tests.) According to this, one should be undersaturated to a large degree after five hours.

Currently, this appears to be the best advice that I can offer, and it is probably on the conservative side. I am pleased to see that our readers are thinking along this line of reasoning.:rolleyes:

Remember that strenuous exercise during the surface interval between repetitive dives is not good since it can lead to micronuclei formation. :nono:

Dr Deco

First of all I'd like to say thanks to all who gave such good info. I'm pretty new at scuba and even newer at this type of forum. So again thankyou you all have been very helpful

dr

Dr. Deco,

I am having trouble with the last sentence of this paragraph from your response above:

"Some responders have cited the ASK DR DECO response of a few weeks ago. This Run-Dive interval was estimated based on a NASA study on nuclei lifetimes following exercise (deep knee flexes). It showed that most nuclei were gone after a two-hour waiting period and that most would be gone after five hours."

Is this what you meant to say? If so, I'm missing something.

Thanks.

DocVikingo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom