working out after diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know about this study, but i never had the opportunity to read it, wathevere.
Just one thing : there might a difference in eliminating those micronuclei regarding age and health status.
Maybe this NASA "Knee bending study..." was ( again ) made for young healthy people, selected for NASA missions.
What if getting older and no so healty ( i mean bad vascularisation due to arterisclerosis and so on... )
Does someboy knows how those micronuclei are elimineted??

As already said on this web site have a look here :

http://www.cisatlantic.com/trimix/emaiken/bubble.htm

fa:)

Dear readers:

In the NASA study on nuclei lifetimes, test subjects performed deep knee flexes and then entered a hypobaric chamber where they were depressurized to altitude. While at altitude, Doppler ultrasound measurements were taken of the bubbles in the pulmonary artery (= final confluence of the venous return). There was a variable waiting period between the exercise and the ascent. This was either five minutes, sixty minutes or 120 minutes. From an analysis of the gas volumes produced, it was estimated that the half life of the tissue nuclei, which grew to bubbles upon depressurization, was about 60 minutes.

After two hours, therefore, the nuclei would be reduced in size/number such that the gas volume produced upon depress was only 25% of the volume with no waiting period (between exercise and depress). Thus, most were gone following two hours. If one make the assumption that five halftimes results in 99% return to the baseline, then all nuclei would be gone after five hours.

We did not find a dependence on age of the test subjects. (This study will appear in Aviation, Space and Environmental Medicine in a few months.)

This loss of "gas seeds," of course, only applies if new nuclei are not generated. On the ground, with walking, there are a few created with each step. The NASA study was performed, since the nuclei from the ground would vanish and not be replaced by astronauts in 0-gravity. Astronauts do not actually walk in null gravity.

Dr Deco

In fact i was loooking for the references on this knee bending study, but wasn'ty able to do so.

Of course not publisched yet.

Was i confused while " knowing about this study "??
I might have been reading something else close to that.

Sorry about that.

i surely will try to buy Aviation, Space and Environmental Medicine to look after it.

Thank you

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom