Works for me

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sambolino44

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I got a lot of help from Tobin picking out the components for my new rig, and haven't gotten around to letting you know how it's worked until now. I've only tried it a few times, but I already know I like it a lot better than my old jacket-style BC.

I got a Medium SS backplate, with the heavy weight plates, a Hog harness, and a Torus 35 wing. I had been wondering about converting the wing to use my Air2, but I hadn't realized how much of a hassle it would be to get all the hoses and connectors right. So, I bought a Dive Rite RG1215 octo, put it on a home-made bungee necklace, and got a 5-ft hose for my primary.

It's quite different from my old set-up, but better in a lot of ways. I had been worried about getting my weight belt over the harness for easier ditching, but since there's so much less weight on the belt, and since the harness is so much more out of the way than the old jacket, that turned into a non-problem. I can put the belt on first, back up to the picnic table, and thread the crotch strap under the weight belt pretty easily. Or, since the weight belt is lighter, it's not that hard to put it on last.

I moved the rear D-ring to the right side of the belt. I put my spool and SMB on that. But after reading more about it, I think I'll put it back where it goes and see how it works with those things clipped to it there.

As far as actually diving, well I'm still working on my buoyancy control and trim with my new drysuit, and still getting used to the buttons on the inflator valve, so there's a bit of a learning curve, but I can already appreciate that my weight is closer to my center of gravity. The harness is more secure, yet at the same time more comfortable, than my old Scubapro Classic BC. Plenty enough lift, but doesn't seem to be too much drag. I've been using 12 lbs on my belt, but I may be able to trim that as I get more practice.

And for after the dive, the wing is easier to rinse and dry than the old BC. The heavy BP is a little more hassle to handle, but not too bad.

I've already had a chance to "rescue" my buddy from some monofilament with the knife! Strangley, I lost the one I had about the same time my new one arrived.

So, thanks Tobin! I'm sure as I get more used to the new rig I'll like it even more.

Sam,

Glad to hear the gear is working out for you. New Drysuit and new BP&W! Lots to sort and fine tune.

Let me know if you have questions.

Tobin

Thread hijack, but Tobin, it seems we'll have to open a local DSS dealership over here, a friend of mine just let me know he ordered a Torus 49 from you. :)

That sums to total of 3 DSS wings/setups in this part of the world. Perhaps I should open a club. :wink:

cool_hardware52:
Sam,

Glad to hear the gear is working out for you. New Drysuit and new BP&W! Lots to sort and fine tune.

Let me know if you have questions.

Tobin

Thanks again, Tobin. My main question now is, "How can I get more time and buddies to dive, dive, dive?" What I need most now is just more practice. Well, I guess I do have a question, and that is: do people really hang their SMB off the rear D-ring on the crotch strap, and doesn't it droop down and get in between your legs and get in the way?

Other than that, I forgot to mention (and I hope somebody besides you sees this) that the quality of the whole rig seems to be high, the wing looks very durable, the assembly instructions were good. Well, I did have to do a little web search for more info on how to thread the cylinder cam straps, but I guess those are generic items (not just for BPs) and it didn't take long to find the info with pictures. I know the numbering system should be good enough, but I didn't "get it" until I saw pictures.

The knife and sheath are a lot better than my old one, which was a thrift store steak knife I trimmed myself and the sheath for a mini-mag light. The one you have cuts better, and the sheath is more secure. Funny, because it looks almost exactly the same.

Another thought that came up after my post was how comfortable the whole rig is, and how I never notice the crotch strap, but I can tell it's helping to hold the whole thing more securely.

Oh yeah, another question. I've found it a little difficult to quickly and easily find and press the deflate button on the inflator valve. Is there a certain way you hold this thing to get the button under your finger intuitively?
Sam

sambolino44:
Oh yeah, another question. I've found it a little difficult to quickly and easily find and press the deflate button on the inflator valve. Is there a certain way you hold this thing to get the button under your finger intuitively?
Sam

Perhaps this helps, it keeps the inflator at reach all times:
http://www.inet.hr/~astancin/dss/dss_inflator2.jpg

sambolino44:
Thanks again, Tobin. My main question now is, "How can I get more time and buddies to dive, dive, dive?" What I need most now is just more practice. Well, I guess I do have a question, and that is: do people really hang their SMB off the rear D-ring on the crotch strap, and doesn't it droop down and get in between your legs and get in the way?

I carry my smb and spool in a drysuit pocket.

sambolino44:
Sam

Try dumping more using the OPV. With the inflator I use my thumb to push the add button and my forefinger to depress the dump / oral inflate.

Tobin

I carry my reel/smb in my x-shorts pocket. I only dive wet. I'm not brave enough yet to try to add pockets to my wet suit.

BTW, I did, before I got my x-shorts, clip the reel/smb to my crotch strap butt d-ring. I never noticed it there.

Michael

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom